Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally built a smoke house. Making bacon and sausage on the pellet grill was not working out as well as I wanted. I'm not much of a builder but I am getting better as I get older and more patient. Dimensions are 39"X39"X84. Inside is insulated with 1/2" cement backer board. It will take BBQ temps so it can double are a large lower temp pit. It's fired with a cheap propane burner and cast iron skillet to hold the wood for smoke. Still need to build a few expanded metal racks. but it's pretty much done. Need to make a few practice runs on some small stuff to see how it runs. I have already burned it in a couple times already. It hold consistent temps inside. I was surprised about that. Oh well....here is some pics.

Automotive tire Road surface Rectangle Wood Asphalt

Sky Wood Tree Landscape Shade

Sky Building Plant Wood House

Sky Wood Building Shade House

Wood Door Composite material Building Gas

Fixture Wood Rectangle Gas Composite material

Automotive tire Wood Rectangle Stairs Floor
Sky Building Wood Plant Tree

·
Registered
180 Posts
Nice job! Did you fill the block cells with Perlite or Vermiculite for insulation? Let us know how it works.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
That's awesome dude. Your neighbors are going to gain 20lbs because they will want to eat every time you fire that thing up.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice job! Did you fill the block cells with Perlite or Vermiculite for insulation? Let us know how it works.
I did pour the open holes with concrete but not for insulation. The heat down low is not much because of the height of the burner. The walls have unfaced insulation but as the inside warms up some heat radiates through the walls. It's not enough to cause a fire or anything but you can feel it is just slightly warm to the touch. Plan on trying it out later this week. I have to figure out a better propane regulator than the one I have now.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I did pour the open holes with concrete but not for insulation. The heat down low is not much because of the height of the burner. The walls have unfaced insulation but as the inside warms up some heat radiates through the walls. It's not enough to cause a fire or anything but you can feel it is just slightly warm to the touch. Plan on trying it out later this week. I have to figure out a better propane regulator than the one I have now.
If you have a gas supply house locally, look for an adjustable LP low pressure regulator. It allows you to dial in the amount of propane going to the burner. Or you can try a smaller burner too.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have a gas supply house locally, look for an adjustable LP low pressure regulator. It allows you to dial in the amount of propane going to the burner. Or you can try a smaller burner too.
I got a 0-30 regulator yesterday made by Bayou Classic. It has a much finer adjustment than the other one because the adjustments are made to the regulator and not a needle valve. Only thing was yesterday while cooking the regulator just shut off. Not sure why. I took it off the tank and it reset. Went back to cooking without any issues.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How long to get the heat going in that space? Looks great!
It's not long at all. Burner is 36K BTU from Northern Tool. Has three little gas valves on it to control the middle and each side of the burner so it can be throttled back. With just the center burner it can hold 200. If I wanna get it any higher the other valves have to come on but once the concrete backer board gets heat soaked it holds the heat very well. Doing sausage and bacon does not require more than about 180 so it warms up pretty quick.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chaurice creole sausage. Never made it but I cook up a sample piece. Not bad. We will see after a few hours of some low smoke.
Food Dish Cuisine Recipe Staple food
Staple food Font Wood Gas Rectangle
Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Cookware and bakeware

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would coat the rebar if you haven’t already. But looks killer
I thought about that but it's already getting that black, sticky feeling from the smoke. I don't ever plan on any food coming in contact with them anyways. If I did I would prolly wrap some tin foil around them. For now I will be just using wire racks and hangars. Eventually I will make some expanded metal trays.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I thought about that but it's already getting that black, sticky feeling from the smoke. I don't ever plan on any food coming in contact with them anyways. If I did I would prolly wrap some tin foil around them. For now I will be just using wire racks and hangars. Eventually I will make some expanded metal trays.
I’d probably just spray a little cooking oil on it, helps season the smoker, guess just my old school mentality with offsets kicking in.

·
Former RJ instigator
44,103 Posts
Finally built a smoke house. Making bacon and sausage on the pellet grill was not working out as well as I wanted. I'm not much of a builder but I am getting better as I get older and more patient. Dimensions are 39"X39"X84. Inside is insulated with 1/2" cement backer board. It will take BBQ temps so it can double are a large lower temp pit. It's fired with a cheap propane burner and cast iron skillet to hold the wood for smoke. Still need to build a few expanded metal racks. but it's pretty much done. Need to make a few practice runs on some small stuff to see how it runs. I have already burned it in a couple times already. It hold consistent temps inside. I was surprised about that. Oh well....here is some pics.

View attachment 299174 View attachment 299170
That's bad ass man, now I want to build one dang it! :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts