Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I have a 272" hadman dragster with a very tall body on it, think like an alcohol dragster. The problem is that I don't have the longest legs and a brand new -15 suit kills what little mobility I had lol. I have the oil tank and puke tanks mounted at the rear of the deflector plate which keep me from stepping on the tubes coming down/back from the cockpit.

Has anyone here built or seen any kind of step built onto a dragster? I would like to work towards being as self sufficient as possible and not need someone chasing me around with a step stool!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I saw a dragster with a tube welded just in front of the seat sideways. It had a slot cut in it for a handle and another tube inside. A hole in the body to allow the inner tube to slide out. This gave a step on the outside but once in the driver could just slide it back in. Pretty cool setup.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Footwell with a spring loaded door like on the old fighter jets/planes. Inside the footwell would be a pipe you stand on welded to the frame in a way it does not protrude into the cockpit.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Footwell with a spring loaded door like on the old fighter jets/planes. Inside the footwell would be a pipe you stand on welded to the frame in a way it does not protrude into the cockpit.
I'm wondering if that would be tough to fold down when getting out of the car. The nice thing about the ones that slid into the car is that you could have it out and ready when you get out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I saw a roadster that had a pneumatic cylinder on it. you mashed a button and it popped out of round hole in body. very clean and really didn't even notice it.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
I'm wondering if that would be tough to fold down when getting out of the car. The nice thing about the ones that slid into the car is that you could have it out and ready when you get out.
No need to fold down. You just stick your foot into it and it folds upwards and inwards to allow your foot to rest on the bar inside. Just need to aim your foot at the right spot climbing in or out.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
My racetech sat a little high and it made it difficult sometimes to get in and out of especially if it was on any kind of slope. The term nut killer is a real thing in a high dragster lol

·
Registered
818 Posts
The nice thing about the tube that slides out manually is that they can be left out as shin detectors also. LOL

·
Registered
6,901 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everyone! I have a 272" hadman dragster with a very tall body on it, think like an alcohol dragster. The problem is that I don't have the longest legs and a brand new -15 suit kills what little mobility I had lol. I have the oil tank and puke tanks mounted at the rear of the deflector plate which keep me from stepping on the tubes coming down/back from the cockpit.

Has anyone here built or seen any kind of step built onto a dragster? I would like to work towards being as self sufficient as possible and not need someone chasing me around with a step auto clicker tool!
A hole in the body to allow the inner tube to slide out. This gave a step on the outside but once in the driver could just slide it back in.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My step utilizes an electric motor assembly from a motor home electric entry step. Works great. I push and hold a button and the rod comes out for me to step on and get in the car. Let go and the step rod retracts; no hurt shins from rod sticking out. I use a hinged manufacturer car emblem to hide the hole in the side of the body when it's retracted.

·
Registered
67,973 Posts
I saw a dragster with a tube welded just in front of the seat sideways. It had a slot cut in it for a handle and another tube inside. A hole in the body to allow the inner tube to slide out. This gave a step on the outside but once in the driver could just slide it back in. Pretty cool setup.
Seen similar set ups on other dragsters as well.

A problem I never had to deal with on my door car .... lol!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts