Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who where can you get ahold of cores to make radiator? Intercooler cores are no problem, all kinds of size options etc for those, but havent seen much in the way of cores to start with? Would like to do one with remote cap/expansion tank

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Why go through the trouble? With all the companies that will make exactly what you want I mean.

Irregardless, I'd give Ron Davis and/or Griffin a call. I'm sure they could give you some info if not sell you cores too.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why go through the trouble? With all the companies that will make exactly what you want I mean.

Irregardless, I'd give Ron Davis and/or Griffin a call. I'm sure they could give you some info if not sell you cores too.
By the time I dimension something send it out wait for them get our back and something needs moved, like everything else you want it done do it yourself. Same reason ended up doing my own aure to water, trans cooler and every other damn thing

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
By the time I dimension something send it out wait for them get our back and something needs moved, like everything else you want it done do it yourself. Same reason ended up doing my own aure to water, trans cooler and every other damn thing

Believe me, I understand what your saying. On the flip side of that I've built a many custom street and race cars..........some of which "off the cuff". I'd say your constant moving of parts and/or reconsiderations of positioning is due to poor planning before hand or bad thought processes as the build takes shape. Take a few steps back and plan ahead.

I got tired of having to deal with "what I had" a long time ago. I'm able to order custom parts to my specs without issue now-a-days because I know it's what I want and need. Mock up's and cardboard are the shit. ;)

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Believe me, I understand what your saying. On the flip side of that I've built a many custom street and race cars..........some of which "off the cuff". I'd say your constant moving of parts and/or reconsiderations of positioning is due to poor planning before hand or bad thought processes as the build takes shape. Take a few steps back and plan ahead.

I got tired of having to deal with "what I had" a long time ago. I'm able to order custom parts to my specs without issue now-a-days because I know it's what I want and need. Mock up's and cardboard are the shit. ;)
How would you know why things may or may not have to be moved :rolleyes: I havent had to move or relocate anything because of poor planning yet (except considering putting the turbo in the back was a bad idea :D but I knew exactly what it would entail and what drawbacks it would have and due to my "good planning and mocking it up" the - "it wont do this or that well" hasnt been issue)

Things like weight distribution, and rule changes arent things you can compensate for with cardboard and mockups unfortunately either.

It needs to go in a certain place, so I dont run into core support rule crap, can fit a forward facing inlet turbo, gear driven supercharger, or an inline6 whihc is inherently a little longer. No one makes one like I want, so Ill likely end up making it, because I like making stuff work. Kinda like no one made a rear mount turbo kit thats worth $20, so I ended up making it

Can you imagine ordering something like this a/w from someone and the chances of it fitting in the hole, bolt pattern etc? I cant get people to send parts with round holes half the time, any engine builder Im sure knows that too well

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
How would you know why things may or may not have to be moved :rolleyes: I havent had to move or relocate anything because of poor planning yet (except considering putting the turbo in the back was a bad idea :D but I knew exactly what it would entail and what drawbacks it would have and due to my "good planning and mocking it up" the - "it wont do this or that well" hasnt been issue)

Things like weight distribution, and rule changes arent things you can compensate for with cardboard and mockups unfortunately either.

It needs to go in a certain place, so I dont run into core support rule crap, can fit a forward facing inlet turbo, gear driven supercharger, or an inline6 whihc is inherently a little longer. No one makes one like I want, so Ill likely end up making it, because I like making stuff work. Kinda like no one made a rear mount turbo kit thats worth $20, so I ended up making it
I hear ya. ;)

GrannySShifting said:
Can you imagine ordering something like this a/w from someone and the chances of it fitting in the hole, bolt pattern etc? I cant get people to send parts with round holes half the time, any engine builder Im sure knows that too well *PIC SNIP*
Absolutely. If your diagrams are good enough and your measurements are precise, you'll get exactly what you designed. I've never had any problems. :D

·
Registered
49,841 Posts
Ron Davis will sell you a core with tanks, that you can finish yourself with hose inlets and outlets.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hear ya. ;)

Absolutely. If your diagrams are good enough and your measurements are precise, you'll get exactly what you designed. I've never had any problems. :D
You must not have bought enough stuff yet from enough coherent people, because getting people to do things like they are sposed to or say they will seems to be the exception not norm anymore. Tell me where you buy everything from?

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
You must not have bought enough stuff yet from enough coherent people, because getting people to do things like they are sposed to or say they will seems to be the exception not norm anymore. Tell me where you buy everything from?
I've been getting custom parts made for over 20 years. Like you, today I prefer to do most of it myself. However, I'm smart enough to know when it's more practical to put it on paper and fax it. "Where I'm getting everything from" depends on what I need. I'm not going to fax oil pan diagrams to Griffin radiators and expect them to know what to do with them.

If you have that much trouble getting stuff made to specification, you're either dealing with the wrong people entirely or you really suck at design, drawings, measuring, and/or CAD.

My wife works for a company that manufactures parts for Nuclear Power Plants. Our best friends, just down the street, work for the same company and are machinist. The husband and wife team machine as per blueprint and the parts work as long as the engineer was on top of his/her game. If something is fucked up, it's the engineers fault, the parts where made to blueprint spec. Learn to make blueprints my man.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
If something is fucked up, it's the engineers fault, the parts where made to blueprint spec. Learn to make blueprints my man.

Agreed - If youre dealing with suppliers that cannot fabricate to your specifications you need to find a new supplier.

However, dont send the supplier a drawing that looks like it was done by a toddler with an etch-a-sketch.

Its pretty simple, mock up a core in cardboard, mark positions of inlets and outlets, mounting tabs etc. Do an accurate drawing (AutoCAD, SolidWorks whatever) and send to Griffin, Davis, Afco etc. - It will be exactly to your specs.

Now if you want to get a core, hold it up where you want it in the car, and start tack welding things to it, then move it, then re attach, etc etc That is piss poor fabrication.

·
Registered
8,135 Posts
I'm sure your customers feel the same way.

Drop any cars off the lift lately?
Leave any cam bolts loose?

Pot meet kettle. :-Shower

·
Registered
4,090 Posts

·
Registered
8,135 Posts
Here are 2 happy customers .....

OrangeSS

Originally posted by Hannibal
So, let me get this straight?

1) You pay him to build/mod your car.
2) You drop car off in working/running condition.
3) He "works" on your car.
4) Car no longer works.
5) Car sits in/at shop for a year.
6) During its stay - you can not reach him with any regular success.
7) While sitting in/at shop, car has two wheels stolen.
8) He offers up two of his wheels to you so you can get your "not working" car out of his shop.
9) He is now suddenly available by phone and is calling you about his wheels?

my story is about the same till he drops my car off the lift and never calls. i get a email about it. WOW thats so professional.

My car has been there for 3 years this coming sept..

all of a suden he wants more money but will not man up of the damages on the car. actually there were some people that told me he thought it was funny when it fell. this is from severeal different sources

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chevy, thats all they can do, nothing of pertinance ever. If someone wants to know what that stuff about, can PM me, but Im done with their drivilings. If that was it in a nutshell, the car wouldnt still be here now would it.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Ron Davis did one for us, that was perfectly built to our specs.
I will be sending them drawings again for my car in a few weeks and I suspect it will be perfect.
I agree with Billy. As long as you pick a quality company to build your stuff, the chances of it being perfect every time are really good.
Chiseled is building me a tank and a tranny cooler. I suspect they will be perfect(to my specs), since I have gotten a perfect product from him already.

Besides all that, I would rather someone else that does it for a living do it. They weld on a daily basis. I fell that I can weld pretty damn good these days. But the ron davis radiator was perfect. Price is really nice as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts