Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Building my version of a Hot Rod; Tbucket, BMW V8, Supercharged, Nitrous

9K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  luckylogger 
#1 ·
Hey guys, wanted to share a few pics of my project over the past couple of years. Technically, one year piecing the engine together. And it's been exactly a year since I started putting the car together.

I started with the engine, originally for another project. Once it was together I decided to go a completely different route.

So let's start with the engine:

Late 90's BMW 4.4L (M62B44) short block.

Early 90's BMW 4.0L dismantler take out to sacrifice it's heads, cams, OBD1 timing covers and timing chain set up & misc hardware.

Measuring for compression ratio. Found the pistons to have a slight dish to them.

Cylinder heads back from a machine shop rebuild.

Found 52cc of combustion chamber volume.

92mm bore (3.62") x 82.7mm stroke (3.26"), pistons sit .025" above deck and have an estimated 4cc dish. The available head gasket is 1.74mm thick (.069"). By my calc that makes roughly a 9.66:1 static compression.

Timing the cams:

Using aftermarket cam alignment tools the valve timing events landed at:

@.1mm lift:
Intake opens 12° BTDC / Intake closes 48° ABDC
Exhaust opens 48° ABDC / Exhaust closes 12° ATDC

240°/240° duration -108° intake centerline / 108° lobe separation

@1mm lift:
Intake opens 2° ATDC / Intake closes 33° ABDC
Exhaust opens 33° BBDC / Exhaust closes 7° BTDC

211°/206° Duration - 107.5° Intake centerline / 108.75° lobe separation

When it was all said and done I set up the cams for a 112° ICL and a 110° LSA, retarding the intake cams a bit to lower dynamic compression and aid in keeping the charge in the cylinder by reducing overlap.

Next post, start building the car.

See less See more
#2 ·
I was looking at the engine one day, and the car it was built for and decided to go a completely direction. Instead I wanted to put together my idea of a simple hot rod. Something simple, stripped down, classic looking, lightweight as close to putting a seat on an engine and calling it a car. A T-bucket, but not your your grandpas T-bucket.

Started with a fiberglass '23 T-bucket body and a '32 ford grill:

Found a rear end, mid 70's Jaguar independent rear.

#6 ·
I like it! Very cool!

I do have to ask though, Why not sidepipes at the rocker?
Or are they a step to get into the car? Lol
GL and keep us updated

#7 ·
I like it! Very cool!

I do have to ask though, Why not sidepipes at the rocker?
Or are they a step to get into the car? Lol
GL and keep us updated

Thank you. It is a step-in car, the doors aren't functional. At 6'1" I don't have problems stepping in & out, my 5' girlfriend might not agree.

The long tube headers are from a coyote 5.0 that has a similar enough cylinder spacing for the pipes to line up with the ports on the BMW heads. They are just flipped upside down. I could have had, and probably still need to have a set of pipes made but during this entire project I am trying to use as many readily available over the counter parts as possible to 1) keep costs down, custom made bits cost big coin. 2) Easier to replace, fix & repair with already existing parts.

I kind of dig the even level & high up pipes, again giving a hint that this isn't your normal Tbucket build.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.