Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, wanted to share a few pics of my project over the past couple of years. Technically, one year piecing the engine together. And it's been exactly a year since I started putting the car together.

I started with the engine, originally for another project. Once it was together I decided to go a completely different route.

So let's start with the engine:

Late 90's BMW 4.4L (M62B44) short block.

Early 90's BMW 4.0L dismantler take out to sacrifice it's heads, cams, OBD1 timing covers and timing chain set up & misc hardware.

Measuring for compression ratio. Found the pistons to have a slight dish to them.

Cylinder heads back from a machine shop rebuild.

Found 52cc of combustion chamber volume.

92mm bore (3.62") x 82.7mm stroke (3.26"), pistons sit .025" above deck and have an estimated 4cc dish. The available head gasket is 1.74mm thick (.069"). By my calc that makes roughly a 9.66:1 static compression.

Timing the cams:

Using aftermarket cam alignment tools the valve timing events landed at:

@.1mm lift:
Intake opens 12° BTDC / Intake closes 48° ABDC
Exhaust opens 48° ABDC / Exhaust closes 12° ATDC

240°/240° duration -108° intake centerline / 108° lobe separation

@1mm lift:
Intake opens 2° ATDC / Intake closes 33° ABDC
Exhaust opens 33° BBDC / Exhaust closes 7° BTDC

211°/206° Duration - 107.5° Intake centerline / 108.75° lobe separation

When it was all said and done I set up the cams for a 112° ICL and a 110° LSA, retarding the intake cams a bit to lower dynamic compression and aid in keeping the charge in the cylinder by reducing overlap.

Next post, start building the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was looking at the engine one day, and the car it was built for and decided to go a completely direction. Instead I wanted to put together my idea of a simple hot rod. Something simple, stripped down, classic looking, lightweight as close to putting a seat on an engine and calling it a car. A T-bucket, but not your your grandpas T-bucket.

Started with a fiberglass '23 T-bucket body and a '32 ford grill:

Found a rear end, mid 70's Jaguar independent rear.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I like it! Very cool!

I do have to ask though, Why not sidepipes at the rocker?
Or are they a step to get into the car? Lol
GL and keep us updated

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like it! Very cool!

I do have to ask though, Why not sidepipes at the rocker?
Or are they a step to get into the car? Lol
GL and keep us updated

Thank you. It is a step-in car, the doors aren't functional. At 6'1" I don't have problems stepping in & out, my 5' girlfriend might not agree.

The long tube headers are from a coyote 5.0 that has a similar enough cylinder spacing for the pipes to line up with the ports on the BMW heads. They are just flipped upside down. I could have had, and probably still need to have a set of pipes made but during this entire project I am trying to use as many readily available over the counter parts as possible to 1) keep costs down, custom made bits cost big coin. 2) Easier to replace, fix & repair with already existing parts.

I kind of dig the even level & high up pipes, again giving a hint that this isn't your normal Tbucket build.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Sweet bucket man. Would love to hear what the engine sounds like. Did you use factory cams or is there a fairly well supported aftermarket for those bullets? Looks great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sweet bucket man. Would love to hear what the engine sounds like. Did you use factory cams or is there a fairly well supported aftermarket for those bullets? Looks great.

Thank you, I'm excited to hear it too. They are OE cams just dialed in, aftermarket cams for this engine are prohibitively expensive.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
very nice.....good to see a nuskool t-bucket.....straighten those "stanced" rear wheels though please.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts