Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

as the title says I'm currently building myself a dedicated engine assembly clean room

its 10 ft x 13ft now my idea is to have a full length bench on one side, with some length of the bench top to be covered in aluminium or steel?im not sure steel or alloy anyone have any input on this?

bearing in mind this will be for assembling engines only engines will have alloy and iron heads on bench top.

cheers Hayden
Australia

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I have sourced workbench cover material from a local heating/airconditioning shop. They can cut the sheet metal to the size you need, then I use angle aluminum around the perimeter of the work bench top. This material holds up well to heavy parts placed on the bench, such as aluminum and cast iron heads.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah ok so sheet metal i will be getting the local sheet metal guys to come and measure it and just fold it to suit my bench top with a splash back panel on it aswell.

cheers Thanks Mate.

·
Unbanned
20,487 Posts
Spend the extra and go stainless steel bench top.

Seal the floor. Unsealed concrete can create dust.

Put in a small split system AC

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Get a peice of kitchen counter, corian or the like. Very nice surface to work on and more than tough enough for engine building, its not a welding bench. Get it in white so small parts stand out.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah ive got a split system a/c its going in next week.

shed concrete is already painted in 2pack light grey.

i was thinking of covering half with steel and just leave the other half timber as I've got .750" tonge and groove flooring ply for table top.

cheers

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Keep an eye out for any restaurant style table tops that were used in the kitchen. All stainless and super strong. Can write on them, spill oil etc and to clean all it takes is a rag and some mineral spirits. Also theres no chance of the top flaking like painted surface or wood will and contaminate your clean assembly

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Jarrett,

hope all is well,

yeah thanks, good point with the paint flaking was thinking of painting the timber section but ill pass on it now.

cheers Hayden

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Glad to see you made it home. Looks like you are gonna have a killer engine build room. I'd see if u could find some stainless kitchen style benches. They are great for writing info with a marker and guaranteed not to get any small debris in your build. Goodluck with your build room and hope to see pics when done.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah Shoedoos,

I'm onto that im right behind Australian made stuff so ive had coolon lights down here make me a led 170w light specifically for the room. got the power on yesterday it works well, i will vac the A/C system down tomorrow then the A/c will be going to.

cheers

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok just an update on this I'm all done just on the look out for a used kitchen top be fore i get some stainless top folded up.

i have the reverse cycle a/c unit in an working I've used it once already i assembled my old N/A inline 6 before it went into storage late last week i really like working inside its very quite before i put the tunes on the radio so thats good when im doing stuff that requires my full attention. im slowly adding stuff to the inside.

ive used 2k boat builders timber sealer on the bench until i find a used kitchen that suits.

one thing that i have found is ive got a seal on the bottom of the door brush type. it seems to sweep the small amount of dirt up to the edge directly under the inside of the door if you know what i mean so if you open the door u can see the dust ,debris is swept in a line directly under the door but thats on the inside?.obviously as i open the door right up it sweeps it into a pile.

but it is quite well sealed as you can feel it as you shut the door the air trying to escape.

in the next few weeks i will be freshening up the engine out of our flatop front engine dragster then hopefully me new cylinder head will be here by then so i can start to assembling my turbo engine aswell its the one in the engine stand in the pics.

cheers for the help on this project

Hayden

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i used campoxy ehb585 got it from YB contacts Mike was great to deal with, product is holding up very well in my shed I've got no complaints. id recommend it.

Cheers thanks.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Excellent job!! That is a very nice clean room and it will be well worth the effort that you have put into it.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah i sure hope so ive used the top as a storage deck aswell ive inventoried all my stuff that went up there I've got a grid system up top to pin point the location of everything that took a long time to complete but i sure am pleased how it all came out.

hoping to have the first proper engine job in there next week that will be the supercharged flathead v8 from the dragster.

cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts