Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cant decide which to build bbc or sbc,wanting at least 2000 hp,running outlaw 10.5,what do i need? turbo size ect. some one build it on paper,ill put it togather,who out there do i need to speak to that can help me on this,thanks steve

·
Registered
645 Posts
Most guys in the Outlaw 10.5W rank are going to twin GT4780 or GT4788's which are good for 2,500 to 3,000 horse at the crank. They are commonly running large cubic inch small blocks (around 440cu.) or a small big-block would work (although some rules may not allow turbo big blocks).

- Brian

·
Registered
645 Posts
I don't believe that is information for me to share since I'm not the one who's done the R&D on the topic. Give Steve Petty a call, he's built a bunch of twin turbo outlaw combos.

- Brian

·
9,228 Posts
The Ford guys are going as big as 4 1/4" stroke. There's a lot that goes into making one of those work and Petty is one of the best. Mine is 3 3/4" stroke but I'm a pussy. :shock:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Engine size is still somewhat predicated by how efficient the cylinder head is. Are ou only racing local, Outlaw or NSCA/NMCA Super Street? You need to look into the rules before you can lay anything doen on paper. Some races don't allow twins (ie Petty/Lynch are limited to where they can race their 10.5 Mustang)

With the current head castings available for the SBC (eg BD2000), it's easily as efficient as the BBC with more room for plumbing, dry sump etc. I prefer the SBC due to it's lighter components (rotating and valvetrain), size and overall completed weight.

·
from across the pond...
6,926 Posts
gasguzzler said:
Most guys in the Outlaw 10.5W rank are going to twin GT4780 or GT4788's which are good for 2,500 to 3,000 horse at the crank. They are commonly running large cubic inch small blocks (around 440cu.) or a small big-block would work (although some rules may not allow turbo big blocks).

- Brian
So am i gonna struggle to get power down with a 572ci with twin 88's on MT sportsman pros?... :-D

·
Registered
645 Posts
redvictor said:
gasguzzler said:

- Brian
So am i gonna struggle to get power down with a 572ci with twin 88's on MT sportsman pros?... :-D
Sure you'll get the power down, down to your rims after blowing the tires off :lol: Controlling the power you have is still VERY key to winning races :wink:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I saw this post and I'm trying to build a SBC twin turbo. I was told that big cubes are required 466 cid, but how about crank, rod, pistons, should they be forged or ........ I plan to mount the turbos in front of the axle (rear). My car is an 83 Chevy Caprice lots of room there and I won't need to intercool either. (saw it done to a gen II Camaro) Worked great and streetable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts