Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read the articles on the "Traction Dyno" on Mr. Shope's earthlink.net website and am very interested in using one to adjust my car before it's first run at the track. However, I have a couple of questions to see if I understand the principles correctly. As I read the article I see that I will need to fashion some sort of anchor behind the car to be able to "load" the suspension. I was thinking that I will need to anchor the car to possibly a wall in the garage. Does this sound correct? As your article states I will only have to provide a few hundred pounds of force to get the readings and should be able to calculate the greater forces through some calculations since you said the readings are a linear pattern. One other thing I don't understand is how I will need to fashion something to keep the engine from trying to move. As for attaching the chain to the rear of the car I should be able to attach the chain to the parachute mount since it should be a the CG height. Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
It almost sounded like he was refering to a stick car when he wrote it. I'd think park would net the same result as the engine/trans are holding the car not the brakes. The point is to have the twisting torqu involved in the weight transfer. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong because I was wondering about that also...

As far as the anchor point goes, as long as the chain is level off the back of the car from the proper mounting point you should be good. Even if you put an anchor in the floor and use some type of support to hold the chain up you will be fine.

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
Close to the CG will work. Billy has addressed this in a different post, pull some of his posts up, its been in the last couple or weeks

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
At first I thought it was going to be a joke. I was all prepared to say hook it to the washing machine and the licence plate. But since mr. shope is serious, that wouldn't be apropriate. Sounds like a lot of effort and a lot of room for error for something the first burnout and pass down the strip will tell you. But interesting theory nonetheless.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts