Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what you guys were doing for a fuel cell and methanol. I was thinking of building one out of stainless but that would be heavy. If you used alum it needs to be anodized. If i do it out of stainless where can i find weld in bungs for it. Summit has alum and mild steel.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was looking at one that is used but has the foam. But I can build one cheap and to fit my exact space. So that is why I was thinking SS.

·
T/S 368E
32,922 Posts

I know several guys with virgin alum cells.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
do they drain the tank after the events? or will they let it sit? Al would be easy and the weld in fitting are easily available.

·
A.K.A. MEAN Matt
3,581 Posts
I had a car a few years ago with an aluminum cell. I allways left alcohol in it and didn't drain it until the end of the year. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
270 Posts
How thick SST did you plan on using? Might be suprised at the weight if you use thin gauge. You can use the bolt in fitttings just like the plastic tanks. I think it would look sharp!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Prob 1/16 to 1/8" typical AL are around that. I would do stainless if I could find the right fittings, I am not real crazy about bulkhead fittings.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
We built several alum fuel cells for alky car and getting them anodized is NBD and its not very expensive. ( esp if you dont care if its a color ) we did mine in clear anodize

·
Registered
696 Posts
We HARD anodize our Aluminum cells. And ALL raw parts for that matter, around here it helps alot. It depends on how much water is in the air as to how fast it will eat it. I left it in for 3 months once and when I did drain it, found pitting in the bottom of the cell. Had it hard anodized and it stopped.:cool:

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Aluminum cell is fine, just keep it full and you will not have anyproblems,

1 - 20 of 30 Posts