Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Good question. I will ask around tomorrow if I remember. I know you can do it for custom boats and stuff, so why not a car? If they won't let you, the only reasoning I would see is safety (quality of workmanship, etc), because then every billy bob would be building his own "custom" car.

·
T5 & T56 building fool
25,285 Posts
Does the body have a VIN attached to it?

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
I think you may run into it would have to pass Emision and Safety Regs for the year the car was produced.

They can issue a Vin like with a Dune Buggy

·
Registered
351 Posts
I know when I looked into doing the same thing, one of the big stipulations is the vehicle can not be a production vehicle in current or recent production. Now, if you were doing a factory five kit, that is different, as it's a replica. Now for a Mustang, if you wanted to make it a Lambo or something similar either hand made or a rebody kit, you should be able to make it fly. But to make a Mustang a Mustang, no go. YMMV.

Brian

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I think you have to sign some sort of waiver when you buy a BIW, starting you will NEVER attempt to register it. But I don't see why you can't call it a replica. Look at all the fiberglass 32 Fords running around, they all had to get a VIN somehow.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you have to sign some sort of waiver when you buy a BIW, starting you will NEVER attempt to register it. But I don't see why you can't call it a replica. Look at all the fiberglass 32 Fords running around, they all had to get a VIN somehow.
Seeing as I would be the second or third owner and having signed no such waiver.... maybe it could be done?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Just did this last week. Hubby built a "kit" car (cobra). Had to get a permit from the state which then allows you to have an inpection for title. Had to have reciepts for EVERYTHING ( to prove nothing was stolen). After 45 minutes looking over the paperwork, the actual car was inspected. Had to have all safey equipment that the year model would have (mirrors, seat belts, etc). When that was completed, a VIN number was assigned.We will have the VIN tag installed by the state inspector next week (the tag they had ordered when we applied for the permit did not have the correct amount of numbers in the VIN). When that is done, we apply for the title and then the license plates and insurance. Each state has its own regulations concerning custom built cars, but you can get the info through the title agency, if not, they can direct you to the proper agency. State of Ohio was through our state police.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
I think after all the proper paperwork and saftey inspections, yes you can get "a" title and register it. It will most likely be an "Assembled" title, same as a dune buggy, kit car, trailer, etc.

It will have the year it was built, not the year/model the car actually is. (ie. 2010 Assembled Vehicle....not....1969 Chevrolet Coupe (Camaro)).

It will allow you to plate it and drive it, but wont really add to much to the value. Similar to a "Salvaged" or "Rebuilt" title......yes, they work, but take away from the value of the vehicle.

·
draggin' ass
13,411 Posts
Body in White cars do not come with a VIN number or a serial number of any sort. They simply have a part number as they are sold the same as replacement parts. My best guess is to take the route of swapping vin numbers of a existing legal car. As if you rebuilt the car useing your new parts. Just a try.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
Body in White cars do not come with a VIN number or a serial number of any sort. They simply have a part number as they are sold the same as replacement parts. My best guess is to take the route of swapping vin numbers of a existing legal car. As if you rebuilt the car useing your new parts. Just a try.
VIN swapping is illegal. Same issue they are having with the Dynacorn bodies. Some states you "may" get away with it, but most are a no-no.

·
draggin' ass
13,411 Posts
Even if you can proove you started with a actual legal vehicle and ended up with a actual vehicle?

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
Even if you can proove you started with a actual legal vehicle and ended up with a actual vehicle?
I believe so.....
Let say you have 2 cars......and legally own both of them.
1. plain jane 6 cyl 69 Camaro (mint condition)
2. RS/SS 396 69 Camaro (rusted out junk)
You cannot replace the vin on the plane jane with the SS vin, legally. In other words, you cant swap the VINs and scrap the junk one (with a plane jane VIN).

You can put all the SS parts on the jane and call it a clone/recreation/whatever.

Not saying this doesnt happen, because it does. Its just your not suppose to, legally.

Now....if caught, I dont know what the cops would actually "do". Its not the same as a stolen vehicle swap, where it would be possibly returned to the owner it was stolen from. "Maybe" impound it? I dont know.......

Maybe it could fall under the "Rebuilt" category. But I think you would have to start with another complete car......

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
Do they title the car as say a 2010 and if so does it have to pass emissions ?
I think so......but not sure. I'm assuming it would be an "2010 Assembled Vehicle". So...what emissions requirement is there?

If I remember correctly, I think this is where Jesse James got into trouble with his Choppers. Plus I think there was another place in Texas had the same problem I believe. They were getting assembled titles, rather than establishing themselves as a MFG and meeting the requirements everyone else does.

Best off to consult your State DMV or Sec. of State to see what applies in your state. I would hate to build a car only to have it taken away for something stupid like this - especially if it was all legit.

·
Registered
575 Posts
We did this once in N.C. when I was in the USMC, back in the 90s we documented the purchase of both vehicles and the every bit of the work done and when the finished vehicle was done the state issued a rebuilt title for it. basically we had a one good car and one p.o.s. and combined the two to make a good one. the good car had no paper work. and the junk car had good paper work.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
2003 BIW licensed in Mich.. ;)

Donor and new body

Way I looked at it was the purchase of the painted BIW and all painted components was cheaper than repainting my 95 Cobra. EVERYTHING swapped over.. still a Mustang..

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
2003 BIW licensed in Mich.. ;)

Donor and new body

Way I looked at it was the purchase of the painted BIW and all painted components was cheaper than repainting my 95 Cobra. EVERYTHING swapped over.. still a Mustang..
That looks like alot of work to run over cones in a parking lot. :confused: :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts