Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me, or is is just less expensive to buy an engine than to build it? I was looking at what it would cost to put together a shortblock, and I can have someone else build it for less. Never use to be that way. WTF :smt102

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
I'm going through this now. I've priced out building myself vs a quality crate engine. I can't buy the parts for what it costs for a complete dyno tuned & shipped crate engine.

Granted I upgraded some stuff on my build list, but till you add machine work and usualy unforseen cost over-runs, the crate engine still winds up cheaper.

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
If you peice the engine together you can save a lot of money, but then you worry about compatible parts and so forth. If your talking a new engine then you would most likely be better off getting a complete motor, but i am very leary of used engines. Also, if you plan to make upgrades to a crate engine the cost will start to skyrocket. I bought a new shortblock last year, and by the time I had the right parts so it could withstand the nitrous i'm going to throw at it was starting to get pricey. do your homework and make sure you are paying for exactly what you want. I dont think you can go wrong with getting exactly what you want, even if you pay a bit more for it. You will know that it's right.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Exactly!! I build my own because I dont trust some of the people doing it If I put it together and fuck it up IM to blame and dont have to try to get it straightened out with a builder. There are precisious few eng. builders I think I could trust( Dont take offence if you think you do great work eng. builders,you know who you are!!!) David.

·
Senior Frog
10,447 Posts
Pick your builder with caution...
Some are good guys,easy to work with and honest...
Willing to work with you and help you with your combo and sell you something to be proud of
Some are scumbag pricks that think their shit don't stink
and if you dont spend 50Gs they cant be bothered
You do it thier way or the highway - fuck that.....Id rather give up a few ponies than deal with that kinda guy......Unfortunatly I did work with that kinda guy in 2006 andit was a horrible experience

I think having an engine built by a guy who does it for a living
is the way to go,they know tricks and ins and outs I would have never knew no matter how many Hotrod magazines I read overthe last 20 years . . However on the flip side I found 10 things wrong with my engine I had to fix when I got it home because of the scumbag prick I used in 2006 . .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts