Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a 50 MM waste gate, what is a good budget unit-I don't know if I would trust an Ebay $80 one, but I don't think I need a $600 one either
single turbo

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have been using ebay china gates for 7 years. Take them apart and check for crap inside and coat the valve stem with hi-temp anti seize. I paid $575 for a s475 and I didn't want to spend more for the fuckin gate than the turbo cost!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I have been using ebay china gates for 7 years. Take them apart and check for crap inside and coat the valve stem with hi-temp anti seize. I paid $575 for a s475 and I didn't want to spend more for the fuckin gate than the turbo cost!
And I paid less for that turbo ;) thanks mike

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've used the 50mm hks knockoff with great success... yes.. coat the stem with antisieze and check it every once in a while for bind up.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I ran 2 60mm hks knockoffs for 2 years. Worked great on just the springs...but leaked way to much when I tried to put CO2 on top of them.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I've used many China gates without issue but this pair of 38's I just put on are junk. They kept getting stuck open to the point of having to use a pry bar to close them. Took them apart and sanded the paint off the valve stems, polished them, and put anti seize on them. Still were hanging up so further looking we discovered the inside diameter of the dome seems to be too tight for the diaphragm so the rubber was binding up inside the dome and hanging them open. We added a little gear oil and they've been working now for a couple weeks but I'm not sure how long that'll last.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,416 Posts
Most important part of a turbo system. It's the component that controls the speed of the turbo. If it fails to open you can lose alot of parts. Crank, Rods, pistons, valvetrain, etc. Look at it this way, you are set up to run x boost due to fuel or engine limitations, now double that amount of boost and think what components will fail and what it will cost to fix.

Turbo cost vs wastegate cost is some of the most flawed logic i've heard.

·
Registered
776 Posts
A lot of it comes down to getting what you pay for. I have a X02 60mm gate. Siezed after sitting the first year in a heated garage. I ended up machining a bronze guide for it, and putting it back together. This year after careful inspection I realized that the diaphragm plate was hitting the housing screws, which was preventing the gate from shutting all the way. I was able to fix that with a small spacer.

So it's usable... and working. But it wasn't a bolt on and forget about it deal by any means. Just know what you're getting into that's all...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Most important part of a turbo system. It's the component that controls the speed of the turbo. If it fails to open you can lose alot of parts. Crank, Rods, pistons, valvetrain, etc. Look at it this way, you are set up to run x boost due to fuel or engine limitations, now double that amount of boost and think what components will fail and what it will cost to fix.

Turbo cost vs wastegate cost is some of the most flawed logic i've heard.
This.:smt028

1 - 10 of 10 Posts