Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title sounds. What are some ideas for a turbo LS motor on a budget? Turbo will be a S480 I think. Not really concerned with HP too much I mean it matters but the main purpose of the car is racing it. I currently have a stock bottom end LS1 that's in the car now. Its over 100,000 miles. I'd really like to be sub 9's right now. Until I get a powerplant and learn every thing to get it faster. As far as money to spend since i have other stuff to buy still I might, might have a 5 grand budget for a motor. Any ideas, or am I going about this all wrong?
Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
It can be done. I actually have one built that isn't being used....

Where you located?

·
Boosted Fredneck
2,414 Posts
6.0 iron block .040 over, LS1 crank, 317 as cast heads & D1SC at 13 psi good for 9.6/140 in my 98 SS. Schwanke out of Springfield, Minnesota was under $4500 for short block & heads in 1999. Had them do a stocker for my 2001 Z28 also, good folks.

http://www.schwankeshortblocks.com/

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Boost your current ls1..my n/a cam only+ bolt on deal in my camaro cost as much if not more then my boosted combo im tossing together..my deal was a lq9 but it needs honed once i took the heads off so im using my ls1 short i robbed out my camaro,317 heads from my lq9,ebay head studs,i have a mls .051 gasket set sitting so ill use them..i grabbed a ls9 cam new,cam sensor an timing cover seal for $145 shipped,got the cam sproket and cover from a buddy for free,doing pac 1218 springs and btr push rods $230,deka 80lb injectors $320,truck intake an old ls1 cable tb,truck intake return rail with aem 380lp in line pump $150,gt45 ebay turbo $320,xs power gate and blow off $170.the most costly thing will be the micro squirt 2 plug an play deal $750.should be good for 600rwhp.

·
Banned
16,548 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
6.0 iron block .040 over, LS1 crank, 317 as cast heads & D1SC at 13 psi good for 9.6/140 in my 98 SS. Schwanke out of Springfield, Minnesota was under $4500 for short block & heads in 1999. Had them do a stocker for my 2001 Z28 also, good folks.

http://www.schwankeshortblocks.com/
Thanks I'll check em out. How much did your SS weigh?

Boost your current ls1..my n/a cam only+ bolt on deal in my camaro cost as much if not more then my boosted combo im tossing together..my deal was a lq9 but it needs honed once i took the heads off so im using my ls1 short i robbed out my camaro,317 heads from my lq9,ebay head studs,i have a mls .051 gasket set sitting so ill use them..i grabbed a ls9 cam new,cam sensor an timing cover seal for $145 shipped,got the cam sproket and cover from a buddy for free,doing pac 1218 springs and btr push rods $230,deka 80lb injectors $320,truck intake an old ls1 cable tb,truck intake return rail with aem 380lp in line pump $150,gt45 ebay turbo $320,xs power gate and blow off $170.the most costly thing will be the micro squirt 2 plug an play deal $750.should be good for 600rwhp.
You came out pretty good. If i had to put a number on it id say I would need the car to put down alot more then 600 i must say. My car is a little on the heavy side so I will need some power to run the number. Car will probably be close to 4000lbs with me in it. Depends on how much weight I pull out of the car it has some now but I've been thinking about more. Kit it self is probably another 200lbs or so. I would guess close to a 1000rwhp but idk.

Sloppy mechanics is denmah.
Ok thanks

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Yeah your pig heavy..my combo is basically a copy of another members combo who went 5.90s at 3k,i should be around 2700# in my deal..ive actually be thinking of swaping to a on3 7875 which would be good for 700rwhp...if i was you i would be looking to pull weight out the car..its always a plus to run faster with less power but the driveline stress is always a bigger perk to me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah your pig heavy..my combo is basically a copy of another members combo who went 5.90s at 3k,i should be around 2700# in my deal..ive actually be thinking of swaping to a on3 7875 which would be good for 700rwhp...if i was you i would be looking to pull weight out the car..its always a plus to run faster with less power but the driveline stress is always a bigger perk to me.
Yea the car is heavy. I got the entire front end done on the car basically. But it still has a AC compressor that's locked up and just a ton of shit under the hood that can bye bye as well as shit behind the dash radio and so on. Last time she was on the scale she weighed 3800 with no one in it before the Kmember and Strange shit blah blah.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Hey i know how it gos i got a 4th gen also lol.i just got hvac,power steeringskinnies,rear seat delete an bumpers gone on mine..if i keep it ill do rear glass,hood an kmem next seeing thats the most cost effective when it comes to cost of pound.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts