Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
The OP didn't say he wanted to be the fastest anything. It's a street/strip car that he has some goals for. I very much doubt that an off the shelf chinese turbo will out perform a custom full race, high dollar turbo. But at the same level of performance where the clones reside, are there some durability issues? You can pick up the GT45 clones all day delivered to your door for under $200. Made in the same country as turbos that are three or more times as expensive. For sure there are many more options and variations for the BW turbos. And that can be important. But I don't know that I would call the clones junk based on that. They are just a standard, off the shelf basic journal bearing turbo. I don't want to put junk on my car either. Where does the junk part come from? Does paying more for a turbo assume that they are better quality?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I'm sure it's safe to say, a genuine BW turbo IS better quality, and will outlast the Chinese stuff.

But then many Chinese turbos these days may outlast the users engine anyway, so hardly an issue. But Chinese turbos are not what they were a few years ago, they've got much better at making these things but when you're starting to get into the $500+ range for one...just hard to swallow when some genuine brand name units arent much more

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
"when you're starting to get into the $500+ range for one...just hard to swallow when some genuine brand name units arent much more"

Certainly I agree. Although I have no evidence one way of the other about the durability of the different brands.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
"when you're starting to get into the $500+ range for one...just hard to swallow when some genuine brand name units arent much more"

Certainly I agree. Although I have no evidence one way of the other about the durability of the different brands.
You hit the nail on the head... essentially I am looking to save a few dollars on the turbos and invest the "savings" into better driveline parts and say when the turbos become maxed out at least the rest of the car is built for much more power because we never generally downgrade we go bigger faster stronger. For the engine it is a gen4 iron block, 4" eagle crank, Howard's billet I beam rods and diamond 2k 15cc dish pistons and a custom ground cam along with 1/2" head stud kit from tick performance. I was able to use the parts I did along with the chassis having JCR torque boxes and getting 25.3 and so on by lowering my turbo budget. I am leaning towards either a pair of cast s366s with .91 AR housing or maybe the sxe369s. I plan to drive the car all over maybe do drag week for fun and hit the local tracks here, i would love to make 1100-1200 rwhp with e85 and good air to air but if it only makes 999 to the tires well I think it will still be a blast lol.. I do appreciate all the input from everyone

21 - 27 of 27 Posts