Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a 12-71 blown, injected alcohol mill for the '68 Biscayne. It will spend 90% of its life in the 8.50 range for an index class I'm running in. The car will weigh about 2700 with me in it.

I know that ideally an aftermarket block, aluminum rods and stuff like that are desired. Problem is that I'm running this operation on a budget.

1) Anyone have issues running filled OE Chevy blocks?
2) Would a good 4340 rotator and 2618 pistons from Eagle or Scat be strong or durable enough?
3) What size engine would you build?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm building a 12-71 blown, injected alcohol mill for the '68 Biscayne. It will spend 90% of its life in the 8.50 range for an index class I'm running in. The car will weigh about 2700 with me in it.

I know that ideally an aftermarket block, aluminum rods and stuff like that are desired. Problem is that I'm running this operation on a budget.

2) Would a good 4340 rotator and 2618 pistons from Eagle or Scat be strong or durable enough?
No Such Thing unless it's junk. You can buy a Hemi long block fresh for about 18G and that would not be the trick of the week stuff, just plain ol parts.

·
Eddie Haskell
7,851 Posts

Check out "Good Vibrations" website. I think they did a budget guide on there. Iron 990 heads etc.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
motor

I built a junker 454 with a stock bore gm block,filled, chevy 7/16 steel rods and gm pistons. but with a good .750 cam and bowtie heads. 14/71 helix blower 35 over. went 7.50s at 2700 lbs
not sure how long it would last, I would put some good aluminum rods if it were me

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
I cant see where that combo would present a problem. I would make sure the crank and rods are stout though, and you guys should be ok. You wont need big time heads and stuff to put that combo where you want for IMSM stuff. I cant see you hurting parts with that combo, as long as the rods n crank are good. A stout bottom end will always be of benifit. Good luck with the build man, and hope to see guys out soon. I talked to one of your boys at the cordova IMSM race. I had the Green camaro in Pro Dominator.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
We have run a filled stock block with a scat crank for 3-4 years. It had steel rods & Ross pistons for about a 11/2 years then aluminum rods & Probe pistons for 2 years.Freshend it up every year and & it still could be run some more.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I cant see where that combo would present a problem. I would make sure the crank and rods are stout though, and you guys should be ok. You wont need big time heads and stuff to put that combo where you want for IMSM stuff. I cant see you hurting parts with that combo, as long as the rods n crank are good. A stout bottom end will always be of benifit. Good luck with the build man, and hope to see guys out soon. I talked to one of your boys at the cordova IMSM race. I had the Green camaro in Pro Dominator.
Ya, my buddy's still trying to work out the nitrous bugs he's been having. We're shooting for Spring '09!

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a tall deck Bowtie block (4.600 bore) that needs a sleeve. Since the block has siamesed bores, do you think that sleeving it would create any problems? It's been filled and o-ringed.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I found a tall deck Bowtie block (4.600 bore) that needs a sleeve. Since the block has siamesed bores, do you think that sleeving it would create any problems? It's been filled and o-ringed.
The bigger is better don't mean shit in blown alky.

forget about sleaving a block.it will just crack again.

you don't have to have an aftermarket block.

my 468 bbc with a 1071 went 6.70s in a light fed,and only 24 lb of boost.nothing trick.gen 4 block

went through the traps at over 8800 rpm.never hurt a thing,just changed rod bearings every 15 passes.

got to have aluminum rods for all that cylinder pressure.yea yea,i ran steel rods too,but you better pull the pan every other run if your getting after it hard.

i ran stock main caps too,but that was the weak link,i could see the caps starting to walk when it was hauling ass.

if you go to my web site there is the complete list of parts in this motor. http://nostalgiaalky.com

·
LOVING LIFE
6,246 Posts
8.50 at 2700 lbs... A good 468 is all you need.. GM block, OHIO CRANKSHAFT crank, GM 990 square port heads. BUY a good BME or GRP rod, and a BLOWER specific piston combo, 10.5:1

Nothing fancy that combo will haul ass... I seen Fred Hahn and Jim Oddy go 6.9's with a 427 in 1991 @ norwalk with IRON heads and similar set up.... You will never look back once you make the switch..

·
LOVING LIFE
6,246 Posts
and...Dont buy anything over 4.500 bore.. And stay away from a block that has been sleeved.
You would be money ahead to use a virgin 454 block and build a little motor, then you would to go out buy good parts for a big bore piece only to watch it crack the cylinders after you get it running.
Small bore, small stroke, big head, big blower make laps and have fun.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help guys!!! I'll take the info to heart.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
8.50 at 2700 lbs... A good 468 is all you need.. GM block, OHIO CRANKSHAFT crank, GM 990 square port heads. BUY a good BME or GRP rod, and a BLOWER specific piston combo, 10.5:1

Nothing fancy that combo will haul ass... I seen Fred Hahn and Jim Oddy go 6.9's with a 427 in 1991 @ norwalk with IRON heads and similar set up.... You will never look back once you make the switch..
Blown, injected alcohol 427 sounds really cool in a '68 Biscayne! Nostalgia Badass!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Mark 4 regular Chevy block, truck # 6223 carnk, chinese h-beam rods, Je 10.25 pistons, Dart 345's, 8-71 Retro @ 25 %, Enderle Bird,,, 8,000 for a 5 minute circle race, no problems !!!!!!! Gets water in it from the lake !

·
Registered
282 Posts
we run a 468 gen4 eagle crank and rods bme pistons 8.7 compression afr heads 671 it dynoed 1130hp it went 740 in the quarter in nostalgia fed motor has two seasons still looks new runs alcohol

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow. Lotsa different combos here! Got me to thinking:

1) Do you need to fill every block or just OEMs? Would a Bowtie, Dart or World block need to be filled?

2) Are aluminum rods necessary? Are they desired because they are lighter? I am assuming that they are wanted because they "cushion" the crank from the cylinder pressure as well.

3) Would a nitrous shortblock have similar ring gaps and bearing clearances?

4) Anyone run a blown alcohol SBC? Do you need a big block snout on the crank?

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
.030 over 454, 2-bolt main.
5140 GM crank
L-88 Steel Rods
SRP Sportsman pistons
049 oval port heads
.648/.669 Crane solid tappet cam
8-71 with 12 PSI

Ran 9.60s @ 3900 lbs before I went to the chassis, on alky with a home built injection system. This was back in 1996.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPxqHQOJ3Xw&e

Only trashed the motor because it was driving through the converter and I tried more RPM to get through the slippage point. Wound up crashing the valves into the pistons.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Filling helps stablize it.

BBC
427 or 454, stock block,4340 crank, (people will disagree) steel rods aftermarket,a small cam made for your combo of parts, I like Cam Motion but any reputable mfg. will work. This keeps the spring presure/cost down. what ever heads you can lay hands on.Let the cam rep know what type!! Speed pro blower pistons $450 ,go through the lites under 7500rpm , low maintiance, high fun factor!!!
SBC
Similiar to above but get some good after market 23deg heads. BBC snout is a bonus but not nessesary for low dollar stuff. Just keep the O/D down.
BBc 1000 to1100hp
SBC 850 to 1000hp

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
.030 over 454, 2-bolt main.
5140 GM crank
L-88 Steel Rods
SRP Sportsman pistons
049 oval port heads
.648/.669 Crane solid tappet cam
8-71 with 12 PSI

Ran 9.60s @ 3900 lbs before I went to the chassis, on alky with a home built injection system. This was back in 1996.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPxqHQOJ3Xw&e

Only trashed the motor because it was driving through the converter and I tried more RPM to get through the slippage point. Wound up crashing the valves into the pistons.
That phucker sounds ANGRY! Saw videos of Vanilla running your new combo. Hope you got that anti-roll bar installed. Phucker was leaning really mean!!!

Thx for the advice!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts