Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mr. Noisy
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, this has probably been discussed a billion times, but i have some blo thru questions and i hope someone here can point me in the right direction.

heres the n/a combo that i have at the moment that i would like to use.

357 cleveland, ported 2v aussie heads that flow 520hp (81%) 52cc chambers, 246 flat tappet cam, 11.2:1 static comp, highrise single plane manifold, 750hp, msd6al ign system. 450hp/440tq.

this engine is going into a 2200lb chassis car and we want a low maintainence, fun, concistant bracket car.

i would like to keep the same cubes, but drop the comp back to 10:1 ish, get an alcohol blo thru carb and run a couple of smallish turbo's, or one larger unit.

the question i have is, do i have to run an intercooler with alky?
what size / brand turbs do i need?
do i need to do anything to the cyl heads / camshaft?
what sort of fuel system do i need?
what sort of hp should i expect

like i said, this will be on a tight budget and i want to use as much of the current combo that i can.

thanks in advance, justin.

·
Registered
203 Posts
ok, this has probably been discussed a billion times, but i have some blo thru questions and i hope someone here can point me in the right direction.

357 cleveland, ported 2v aussie heads that flow 520hp (81%) 52cc chambers, 246 flat tappet cam, 11.2:1 static comp, highrise single plane manifold, 750hp, msd6al ign system. 450hp/440tq.

this engine is going into a 2200lb chassis car and we want a low maintainence, fun, concistant bracket car.

i would like to keep the same cubes, but drop the comp back to 10:1 ish, get an alcohol blo thru carb and run a couple of smallish turbo's, or one larger unit.

like i said, this will be on a tight budget and i want to use as much of the current combo that i can.

No need for an intercooler.

You may want to increase your seat pressure to compensate for the boost you intend to run. More power is to be expected with a cam designed for boost.

An aeromotive a1000 would get the job done, and a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator, return style

Depends on the turbo or turbos you use

Hope this helps.

www.turboforums.com is a wealth of information, although you need to search on that site, and not just ask how to do it. they get irritated overthere when people arent willing to put in the time to research. There is a good tutorial on there for building a carb etc.

good luck
hope this helps

btw...my car is a blow thru on gas, and have been thinking of going to alcohol myself. my car with an air to air made right at 850hp to the wheels with a 74mm garrett turbo, blowthru application.

·
Registered
24 Posts
No need for an intercooler.

You may want to increase your seat pressure to compensate for the boost you intend to run. More power is to be expected with a cam designed for boost.

An aeromotive a1000 would get the job done, and a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator, return style

Depends on the turbo or turbos you use

Hope this helps.

www.turboforums.com is a wealth of information, although you need to search on that site, and not just ask how to do it. they get irritated overthere when people arent willing to put in the time to research. There is a good tutorial on there for building a carb etc.

good luck
hope this helps

btw...my car is a blow thru on gas, and have been thinking of going to alcohol myself. my car with an air to air made right at 850hp to the wheels with a 74mm garrett turbo, blowthru application.
An A1000 fuel pump will be very liited in a blow-thru alcohol application. I wouldn't use anything smaller than an A2000(Aeromotive) fuel pump.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts

Justin,

For a Akly motor don't change the compression.

No need for an I/C the akly will cool the charge just fine.

A correctly custom built turbo cam will always out perform a box cam.

A single 75 mm to 80 mm would be a great turbo to start with and get your feet wet in turbos. Ash may be able to get you the hook-up on a budget turbo.

·
Mr. Noisy
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
awesome, thanks for you input robert, if i was to use gas, would i only need an intercooler and lower com?

im thinking that i would be better off with methanol tho, it seems much simpler.

thanks again.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
If you lower the compression to 8.5-9:1 you can run race gas with no intercooler. All depends on how much power you WANT to make. I'd replace the cam and pistons, put turbos on and run it. If its not fast enough you can add an intercooler later and up the boost. Then you don't have to deal with all the issues with methanol.

You mentioned consistency in your original post, do you think a turbo will be consistent? I think it will potentially take alot of work on your starting line procedure to be consistent for bracket racing if thats what your going to do with it.

Craig

·
Mr. Noisy
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why dont you give jake edwards a call he knows what he is doing with blow thru setups
already on to that, jake is great and knows his stuff, and is really helpful on the phone, but its good to hear ideas from other people who are doing the same thing as me. :)

where are you at xsvpsi?

·
mfi turbos rule
4,503 Posts
justin,
good to see another turbo aussie car
as per phone call , and pm
go with the meth fuel, you will be able to have quicker turn around times...
meth will make more torque and be less weight in car , ( lose the intercooler..)
i can organise a turbo, waste gates, bov, and cam ..( will be the same choices as robert.. hint...)
go with jake on fuel system, or we can organise that too

once you pick what supplier you go with, stick with them , and not jump around...

either ,
come join the mechanical injection ranks.....

your heads with be ok, with little massarging....
just have to make all the parts work together..
only thing is..... you have the distrubitor in the wrong spot..... (joking....)
you have my number
cheers

ash

·
Mr. Noisy
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks ash, i reckon we can get this happening fairly soon.
all i have to do now is start building a meth carb, i can get one from jake, but i wouldnt mind having a go at it myself, any tips?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts