Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to throw something together for a local heads up series. I want to keep it fairly reasonable budget wise, because if the series ever goes under, there would not be anywhere else to race this combo, other than brackets. I have some things already laying here in the shop, would like to get some opinions.
Car will be N/A, 2950 lbs., straight drive on any 275 radial. 335 ci maximum (at this weight)
112 octane maximum

I have a new World block, already finish bored at 4.125
I want to use a 3" stroke crank
6.250 rod
1.250 ch domed piston (Mahle or Diamond)

These are all off the shelf parts that can be purchased without the expense of custom machining. (And I've actually found some really good deals on some of this)

Any pros or cons to this combo?
Also any thoughts as to heads (23 degree) and cam reccomendations (solid roller).

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
that thing should rev to the sky
When I was a kid going to the races in the old days with my dad, I used to love to hear the small cubic inch straight drive Pro Stocks and gassers rev to the moon. It's left a lasting impression, lol. But truthfully, big bore 331 SBF combos are common, although usually with a much shorter rod.

·
Registered
16,918 Posts
When I was a kid going to the races in the old days with my dad, I used to love to hear the small cubic inch straight drive Pro Stocks and gassers rev to the moon. It's left a lasting impression, lol. But truthfully, big bore 331 SBF combos are common, although usually with a much shorter rod.
im with ya on that. nothing like a screaming small block and a 4 speed

·
Butch
8,209 Posts
I wanted to throw something together for a local heads up series. I want to keep it fairly reasonable budget wise, because if the series ever goes under, there would not be anywhere else to race this combo, other than brackets. I have some things already laying here in the shop, would like to get some opinions.
Car will be N/A, 2950 lbs., straight drive on any 275 radial. 335 ci maximum (at this weight)
112 octane maximum

I have a new World block, already finish bored at 4.125
I want to use a 3" stroke crank
6.250 rod
1.250 ch domed piston (Mahle or Diamond)

These are all off the shelf parts that can be purchased without the expense of custom machining. (And I've actually found some really good deals on some of this)

Any pros or cons to this combo?
Also any thoughts as to heads (23 degree) and cam reccomendations (solid roller).

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
I have never been into circle track stuff, a friend and I are working together on circle track builds and this is one that went together. It works VERY nice, and has a 7800rpm chip rule, it turns up on the rev limiter so fast its not funny

For drag use, I would think a power band of 6500rpm to 8500rpm+ would be ideal, is this ok for you?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have never been into circle track stuff, a friend and I are working together on circle track builds and this is one that went together. It works VERY nice, and has a 7800rpm chip rule, it turns up on the rev limiter so fast its not funny

For drag use, I would think a power band of 6500rpm to 8500rpm+ would be ideal, is this ok for you?

I was shooting for peak hp to be around 8k to 8500. I know it says budget, (and it is, I'm the ultimate "bargain" shopper).
I have a new World block with billet caps, a Sonny Bryant billet crank, new Diamond pistons, and a new set of GRP aluminum rods.
Just need to pick heads, cam and intake.

·
Butch
8,209 Posts
I was shooting for peak hp to be around 8k to 8500. I know it says budget, (and it is, I'm the ultimate "bargain" shopper).
I have a new World block with billet caps, a Sonny Bryant billet crank, new Diamond pistons, and a new set of GRP aluminum rods.
Just need to pick heads, cam and intake.
What transmission? Converter? Weight? Gearing?

If it has enough gearing, there is a grind I have in mind.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
210-220cc sized head with a 2.08 intake valve... Needs to be a decently sized port without too much velocity turning that kinda Rpm.

26x/27x durations should get it up there. 1 7/8's or maybe a 1 3/4 stepped to 1 7/8's header. 850 maybe 950 carb.

Where you thinking on compression? 13:1?

Sounds like 2hp/inch waiting to happen.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Direct drive with what... A clutch?

·
Butch
8,209 Posts
Spaminatr.............
Your words little buddy, not mine

Not sure which video you were watching Jeff............but both launches hit the pill at 8600. :D Trust me...................you will need all of your 350shot, to keep up to this thing on nut. Even though my car is 400lbs heavier.

Good luck on your adventure..........Hope to hear from you soon............

PS, the pass that it blew the tires off and I waited a couple seconds to see if it was broke...............it ran 16 something at 65mph........:D :D :D
How is that race going?

You told Jeff after he went 9.60's on a 350 shot, that he would need every bit of that 350 shot just to keep up with you on the nut let alone outrun you :confused::confused::confused::confused:

How is your 10.19 that was below 800' DA going to outrun his 9.60's spraying?

Your engine "SHOULD" outrun him N/A with him spraying, I mean after all you have
- Multiple Dyno Sessions testing carburetor, oil pans, vacuum pumps etc etc
- The baddest of the baddest 23° cylinder head ports
- Spring pressure under 150 seat
- Spintron Testing
- Titanium Valves
- Belt Drive
- Ultra Light Callies crank
- Billet Torque Converter 6800rpm flash
- Coan low drag TH350 transmission
- 4.88 rear that is either a Dana or Ford 9"
- Claim it is pump gas, but stated its 11.7:1, so you have a 12:1 engine
- It has .866"+ lift and is under control, you state according to the Spintron

EDIT: You have one of the best tuners in the country, being he was in NASCAR that is very true

All your words little buddy

This thing should outrun Jeff's engine with a 350 shot. I mean he has off the shelf Dart CNC'd heads, shelf roller cam and did not use every source of testing available like NASCAR and Pro Stock use.

·
I like IceCream
11,026 Posts
More mindless babble.................Jeff has never made a 9sec pass in that car yet. Bill claimed it ran 9,60 on a 150 shot, when in reality it was on a 350 kit.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
You two just cant help but bring this shit into other peoples threads can you?

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
210-220cc sized head with a 2.08 intake valve... Needs to be a decently sized port without too much velocity turning that kinda Rpm.

26x/27x durations should get it up there. 1 7/8's or maybe a 1 3/4 stepped to 1 7/8's header. 850 maybe 950 carb.

Where you thinking on compression? 13:1?

Sounds like 2hp/inch waiting to happen.
Compression should be right around 13:1 with about a 64cc chamber.

Thanks for the input

1 - 20 of 32 Posts