Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble trying to get my BS3 to communicate with my laptop. I am using Windows 7 and I am reading that people are using Vista.Could this be the problem? I have also used 2 different 9 pin serial to usb cables with no luck so far. I am not really good with computers so that doesn't help either. I have also read that some cables come with software for the cables too which I do not have the software for them as I grabbed the cables from a friend to try.This maybe the problem also but not sure. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
Is it 32 bit or 64 bit Windows 7? Click on the windows button, then right click on the computer button, go to properties and you will see if it is 32 or 64.

I have had no issues with 32 bit Windows 7 and the BS3.

Also, what com port is your serial to usb picking up? Most new computers list them as a really high number so you may need to reassign the cable.

·
Registered
12,031 Posts
I use 32-bit Windows 7 with no problems either.

You can also go to the hardware manager and you might be able to get a preview of what com port you are attaching to by plugging the USB cable in and then removing it to see which "device" keeps appearing and disappearing and looking at its properties to see which COM port you are on. From there you will always know which COM port to tell the BS3 software to look for.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the computer and it's a 64 bit system. Do you think this is going to be a problem. When I connect the cable it keeps telling me comm port not available. When I click OK it goes to the synchronizing screen and when i try to change the ComPort it shows that none of the 10 comports have been detected. I am going to check a few more things mentioned here today...I will let you guys know how I make out.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The usb to serial adapter will need drivers. Find out the manufacture and DL off their website. As far as 64 bit goes i am not sure but i will waiting to see if it works for you, all my laptops are 64 bit and i will need to hook to BS3 here soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what I gathered today windows 7 and 64 bit will not work with a serial port to usb cable. Why, I have no idea why but I am guessing that a 64 bit system is too new I guess lol. (Hey tell me a 32 bit system will read a serial to usb. So if I can't find a 9 pin serial port laptop with vista,I am going to un-install the 64bit and install the 32bit and see what happens.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have another ? on an external shift light. I installed one and it's running off the racepak. When I turn power on in car should the racepak do a bulb check? Just checking cause it doesn't light up for a second like the one in my other car. The other car doesn't have a racepak, it has an autometer tach with light. Thanks

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
I have another ? on an external shift light. I installed one and it's running off the racepak. When I turn power on in car should the racepak do a bulb check? Just checking cause it doesn't light up for a second like the one in my other car. The other car doesn't have a racepak, it has an autometer tach with light. Thanks
Sounds like you have it wired backwards, flip the wires and you should be good to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts