Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
King Shit on Turd Island
33,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm looking for some suggestions to wake up brown rice some. I'm trying to eat healthy (and this damn section doesn't help one bit! Lol), but brown rice is so bland that I need something to kick it up a notch or two. The challenge is, that I don't want whatever it is that picks it up to make it unhealthy either.

Anyone have any good reccomendations?

·
Registered
383 Posts
My wife and I also eat alot of brown rice, if it's a side dish to chicken ou steak, I always top it with a little salsa, adds a bit of moisture and it sure helps with the taste.

·
King Shit on Turd Island
33,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife and I also eat alot of brown rice, if it's a side dish to chicken ou steak, I always top it with a little salsa, adds a bit of moisture and it sure helps with the taste.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've been doing the salsa thing, just getting burnt out on it though. I'm wondering if there might be some seasonings or something that doesn't have too much sodium that will help with the taste.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I always eat brown rice. I cook it in chicken broth. Tastes hella good.

·
Registered
236 Posts
you can try rice a roni whole grain blends, it has 760mg sodium(not sure if that is alot), 32% recomended daily value per serving. pretty good if you like brown/whole grain rice. think there are 3 flavors

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
try adding some combination of peas, corn, lima beans, and broccolli along with sweat baby rays BBQ sauce to your rice, its great.

If that doesn't work, try Basmajti rice...its white but tastes great and is fairly healthy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm gonna try some Kashi 7 Whole Grain Pilaf tonight with some Salmon, Sauteed in a little EVOO and fresh sqeezed Lemon.

It's a mix of Whole Grains and Long Grain Brown Rice.

0 Sodium
8g Protein
7g Fiber

The Wife and I have lost about 100lbs a piece in the last year. So were always trying to find new things that are healthy

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Hey all, I'm looking for some suggestions to wake up brown rice some. I'm trying to eat healthy (and this damn section doesn't help one bit! Lol), but brown rice is so bland that I need something to kick it up a notch or two. The challenge is, that I don't want whatever it is that picks it up to make it unhealthy either.

Anyone have any good reccomendations?
brown rice does sound good, think i'll thaw out some pork chops and serve em over dirty rice tonite, its my turn to cook

·
Registered
401 Posts
760mg of salt is a lot. Doctors would like you to limit your total days intake of salt/sodium to 2000mg's a day. Stay away from canned and box foods. I read labels....but I have had two open heart surgeries.

·
Moderater
13,473 Posts
I make it different everytime I make it. Here is a good one, dice up some onion real small. Cook it in a little sesame oil for a couple mininites. Throw the rice in and cook for a couple more minutes. Then add the water or chicken broth. Also like to add a little yellow currie. Once you cover it don't open or stir until the recommended time is up.

·
...failure to communicate
4,872 Posts
A little onion, peas, and diced carrots would give it a little bit of a "fried rice" kind of flavor plus a little crunch if you steam the veggies or leave them raw. SHould go very nicely with a grilled chicken breast or pork chop.

Hmm - I think I figured out dinner tonight :D

·
Banned
14,510 Posts
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 large green pepper cut into 1/4-inch slices
  • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice

1. In a skillet, combine water, tomatoes, green pepper, onion and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender.
  2. Stir in cooked rice.

Tom

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
try cooking the rice with a couple peppers (I like sarrentos), a chopped up Anaheim pepper, a little red onion, and some green onion tops chopped up. I don't add any salt, but will often add some fresh rosemerry and a little thyme. Just before it's done I'll toss in a diced plumb tomato.
gary

·
...failure to communicate
4,872 Posts
made some tonight and mixed it with a little warmed up "Veg-All." With Tony chachere's seasoning on grilled chicken it was awesome!!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I like to use chicken broth or add finely diced carrots, celery and a sprinkle of cayenne to the liquid while cooking.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts