Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Ive pulled a helcoil and the thread holding in out of a rocker stud thread in an alloy cylinder head
Any ideas on how to fix it?

Busy being a cunt
There are a multitude of fixes dependent on your skill set, but in future try to be less heavy handed 馃槑

Registered
Timesert or Keensert...also called key locking inserts......they are a thicker wall then helicoil thread repair insert similar to the idea of installing a pipe plug then drilling the center out of the plug and tapping that.

7/16 -14 thread in a thinwall key lock insert takes a 9/16-12 threaded hole, 7/16-14 thickwall insert takes a 5/8-11 tapped hole, 7/16-14
Pins get driven down to lock them in.

Registered
If you just want it fixed, Drill that fucker out and thread in a new helicoil with locktite. Clean the hole good. Timserts insets are good but you have to get the angles right. With a helicoil I put a couple of other bolts in to 鈥榮ight鈥 off and you can drill it easy. Helicoil are my least favorite.

Registered
If you just want it fixed, Drill that fucker out and thread in a new helicoil with locktite. Clean the hole good. Timserts insets are good but you have to get the angles right. With a helicoil I put a couple of other bolts in to 鈥榮ight鈥 off and you can drill it easy. Helicoil are my least favorite.
I just did this for a Holley bowl bolt in the main body. Gingerly drilled out the insert (and then picked out the remaining pieces), retapped and added a Helicoil with Locktite. As noted, there are better inserts.

Registered
When repairing rocker stud holes, you can't go 'caveman' on it. The repaired hole has to be STRAIGHT with all the other studs! If you blindly drill/tap the hole, it WILL be crooked. This is best done on some sort of drill press with the rocker bosses leveled perfectly left/right and fore/aft.

Good Luck

Registered
Holley bowl screws are 12-24.
The 12-24 part numbers are on this page:

My kit came with the .370 carbon steel inserts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts