Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Launched on the transbrake and nitrous. The car came up and left pretty good. It went about 15ft and started making a hellacious noise and came to a stop. The car would not roll so we jacked it up and drug it off the track. I was unsure if it was the trans or rear end that has broken so I pulled the driveshaft out of it and it freed up the rear. I never thought I would break this trans. I'm assuming that it broke the planetaries since it was locked up tight and wouldn't even roll. It has 2.02 Straight Cut Planetaries in it...

Am I wrong in thinking that it should have held up fine to a high 5 sec car? Is this something I am gonna have problems with out of a glide in a 3100lb car?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
As much as I don't like Glides, I HAVE seen guys run them with my engines with alot of power and alot heavier than you are without blowing them up. My point is that I wouldn't say that it is what to expect from your combination as it is not typical. Whatever failed, failed for a reason and you won't know what or why until it is disassembled and inspected. When done corrrectly, these transmissions hold up to alot of power so I wouldn't be too discouraged. I just prefer 3 speeds for most applications, but that is just my preference. If YOU had it built, bring it back to whoever did it and see if he will work with you. If it was a complete piece already, look into haveing it done and done right and you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
781 Posts
The 1.80 planetary seems to be the strongest due to teeth size and pitch diameter..
Is the 2.02 planet you have, made from the lightweight stamped steel 1.82 GM carrier? If so that would explain your breakage.
Those 1.82 stamped steel carriers exibit a lot of delflection/ twist....
Get a 1.80 with the larger HD carrier to solve your issue..........

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 1.80 planetary seems to be the strongest due to teeth size and pitch diameter..
Is the 2.02 planet you have, made from the lightweight stamped steel 1.82 GM carrier? If so that would explain your breakage.
Those 1.82 stamped steel carriers exibit a lot of delflection/ twist....
Get a 1.80 with the larger HD carrier to solve your issue..........
When we bought the planetaries they said they were the 2.02 straight cut planetaries. They were very expensive so its not the cheap stamped steel crap. I thought this trans was gonna last a long time, but the first time I left on the spray and it hooked BOOM.

·
Super Moderator
19,367 Posts
The 2.02 may be a straight cut but it also may be installed into a 6 cyl carrier which is s stock stamped steel unit. Unfortunately they are normally only rated to 600HP and not recommended for high torque application such as a nitrous combination.
You may want to consider changing to a 1.80 ratio complete planet assembly and you may find they are a little cheaper $$ than what you have now but a much stronger deal.

You will also have to change the input shaft with the 1.80 ratio as its based on a V8 carrier VS what you have now but if it broke badly , the shaft may be broken at the pilot and have to be replaced anyway.

Hutch

·
Registered
781 Posts
When we bought the planetaries they said they were the 2.02 straight cut planetaries. They were very expensive so its not the cheap stamped steel crap. I thought this trans was gonna last a long time, but the first time I left on the spray and it hooked BOOM.
I dont recall ever seeing a HD V8 planetary being made with a ratio above a 1.96 or 1.98 ! I remember them being the light duty stamped steel carrier for 2.0 and higher ratios....

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys. Is there anything else in the trans that could break and would cause the transmission to lock up completely to where you couldnt even roll the car forward or backwards?

I know its hard to tell without pulling the trans apart, but I'm just curious as hell as to what broke and why and I can't pull the trans until we get a lift opened up at the shop. Hopefully I'll have it pulled in the next 2-3 days and torn down.

·
from across the pond...
6,930 Posts
It's the planetaries for sure.You'll find the planet gears will be smashed and locked together. Do yourself a favour and listen to what Hutch said. Whoever steered you to 2.02's was not helping you.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that info!

How much for a good set of 1.80 straight cuts with the HD Carrier? I know there are quite a few different companys making them. I want to go with something that is gonna hold up this go around. I don't have the money to keep replacing broke junk! lol

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah its trashed to hell and back. Tore it down tonight. Planets are history. Had to pull the whole entire assembly out as one unit because the shit wouldn't seperate and come out piece by piece. Then had to put it in a vice and beat the shit out of it to get it apart. Guess I'll be giving TCI a call tomorrow to see if I can get some help on this maybe.

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
Yeah its trashed to hell and back. Tore it down tonight. Planets are history. Had to pull the whole entire assembly out as one unit because the shit wouldn't seperate and come out piece by piece. Then had to put it in a vice and beat the shit out of it to get it apart. Guess I'll be giving TCI a call tomorrow to see if I can get some help on this maybe.
Would call PTC if I were you

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would call PTC if I were you
We have not had very good luck with them on some other transmissions they built for us. I bought this stuff from TCI so I'm gonna check to see if they will help me out on a new set before I start calling around.

·
from across the pond...
6,930 Posts
Also Hutch and Trans specialities can help if TCI don't. TCI were good to me when we had an issue..

·
Registered
969 Posts
TCI offered a 2.03 (not 2.02) in the 1.76 style carrier.....but those have been discontinued for over year. Maybe you got some old inventory?????? That gearset was pretty much only used in stock/superstock type cars. It will never hold up behind a 5 second, 3100lb car.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TCI offered a 2.03 (not 2.02) in the 1.76 style carrier.....but those have been discontinued for over year. Maybe you got some old inventory?????? That gearset was pretty much only used in stock/superstock type cars. It will never hold up behind a 5 second, 3100lb car.
You have hit the nail on the head my friend!! We bought these about 3 years ago. Thats exactly what we have. THEY ARE NOT STRAIGHT CUT!!!! I am not a transmission guy at all so I didn't know what I was looking at until I got to thinking about it and went back and looked at them again today. My friend bought this stuff at what was supposed to be "half price" $550.00 and they were suppose to be straight cuts. Supposedly one of the gears was damaged so they replaced it with a new gear and sold it at half price. He just took it all to the trans builder and had it put together.

I was going crazy/pissed as hell cause I knew that with straight cuts there is no way in hell I broke them at my power level. And now we have our answer, but the new question is why in the hell did they sell us this shit when we asked for the straight cuts. We will find out tomorrow!!!

Thanks guys.

·
from across the pond...
6,930 Posts
Your trans builder should have pointed out to you that the gears wouldn't be good enough. That's what his job is...

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Your trans builder should have pointed out to you that the gears wouldn't be good enough. That's what his job is...
At the time it was built it was going in a n/a street/strip car so he didn't think anything about it. Besides he just puts together what we bring him.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts