Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the 2nd stock starter I have broken! Any idea as to why they keep breaking? I never had any issues until I rebuilt the engine. It turns over fine by hand, the starter doesn't seem to have any issue cranking it either. Matter of fact I didn't even know it was broken until I took it off to pull my busted trans. It has been making a clicking noise like there was a slight short in the wiring or something, but there wasn't any wiring issues so I just let it go. The CR is a little over 12:1 and I have the MSD pulling 10* of timing on start up. Its not busting the snout either its busting the corner off of the housing where it bolts to the block! Both starters broke in the exact same spot.

I guess I'm gonna have to buy a high torque starter this go around.

·
Kelly's Nightmare
4,147 Posts
i have a CSR High Tq mini Starter for sale.... it completly adjustable and fits 2" cooks headers without a problem. Turned over a 10.5:1 408 with a Kennebell 2.8h on top without a problem.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a CSR High Tq mini Starter for sale.... it completly adjustable and fits 2" cooks headers without a problem. Turned over a 10.5:1 408 with a Kennebell 2.8h on top without a problem.
how much and is it for a LS engine or modular?

·
Kelly's Nightmare
4,147 Posts
$200, its for ls motors. it has a steel mounting surface, no worries about this badboy breaking.... i would be interested in trading straight across for that tial, send me some pictures and i will get you aome as well.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$200, its for ls motors. it has a steel mounting surface, no worries about this badboy breaking.... i would be interested in trading straight across for that tial, send me some pictures and i will get you aome as well.
That would be great cause I've been out of work for two months now. Shoot me a PM with a your cell# and I'll send you some pics of it in a text message.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was going threw stock starters a couple of years ago......same problem breaking the ears of them......went with a MSD starter and never had a problem since

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
we still ise the stocker seems something is not aligned correct. maybe its binding up just enough it beats it up and eventually cracks it.

·
Registered
49,432 Posts
Is this a car or truck starter. If it is a car starter with 2 different bolt lengths then it makes sense it is breaking. Switch out to the truck starter body with the staggered bolts of the same length. It'll stop that problem.

·
Registered
49,432 Posts
what about for a 15.5:1 compression engine?
I dunno. Never tried a CR that high with a 6.0L truck starter but the 12+:1 motors break the bullshit ear off the car starters all the time.Might just crank slow worst case.

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
Ignition kill switch.............temporary "off". Get engine turning freely and then release the kill switch.

Takes the load off the starter.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Ik now the stock starter likes 16v it spins its ass off lol. we use the car starter also. wierd. but i think we only has 12.5 or so cr last year.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Do not crank the motor then turn on ignition, your retard will not work. You must turn on ignition, then crank it, in order for the start retard to work.

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
If the engine is free spinning with no fire, it's not going to matter if you have a start retard or not.

·
Registered
624 Posts
You guys would laugh if you knew my starter is still the orginal one.This post makes me feel like i just read a jinks thread.lol I better put a spare in the trailer.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You guys would laugh if you knew my starter is still the orginal one.This post makes me feel like i just read a jinks thread.lol I better put a spare in the trailer.
lmao uhhh yeah get you an extra starter just for the hell of it! I'd hate to be kickin ass at a race and break that POS stock starter and be SOL.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
matt, know anyone who has a aftermarket rear sway bar for sale
No I don't, but you can look in the for sale section above and see if there is one in there for sale. Or post up and ask here.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts