Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post so go easy on me. I got a 331 sbf nice motor I freshened the short block long story short get the heads clean and find two hair line cracks under neath the valve seat Has any one ran across this ? Will it hold up if I repair it? Will have about a 40 jet on one kit It's a nice motor Very good shape I hate to just write these heads off. It takes 5 weeks to get a new set. Bes built the motor. Any info is appreciated.
PHP:

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
My first post so go easy on me. I got a 331 sbf nice motor I freshened the short block long story short get the heads clean and find two hair line cracks under neath the valve seat Has any one ran across this ? Will it hold up if I repair it? Will have about a 40 jet on one kit It's a nice motor Very good shape I hate to just write these heads off. It takes 5 weeks to get a new set. Bes built the motor. Any info is appreciated.
Are they leaking water?

Is the crack between the valve seats?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not leaking water just a hairline it is below the Seats about 3/8 of an inch in the port

·
Billy438Stroker
5,634 Posts

If they need repair, send them back to Brodix....They do the best repair on these heads , hands down...

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Pretty common for the Brodix Neal heads to get hairline cranks in the chamber from the plug over to the EX seat - This is espc common on turbo engines for some reason and it never hurts anything to just leave them alone - but I've never seen them crack under the seat insert....

Thats gonna be alot of $$$ to repair with cutting the old seats out, welding, cutting new seat pockets and pressing in new seats, valve job ect.....

Its hard to say for sure how well the repair would hold up since they are ported - I'm sure there isn't a ton of metal in the bowl...

My guess would be that since the crack hasn't made it's way thru to the water jacket yet, the repair if done right would hold up as good as the orginal casting holds out.
Will

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks for the Info. Don't hAve a clue were to go from here it has a nice sheet metal manifold and from what bichoff told me nothing fits a neal head stuff Guess I'll wait 5 weeks for new castings. I'm dying to go turbo if I could find a complete topend may just go that route and go turbo. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
a the neal heads were made for individual port injection runner type manifolds I built sixteen / twenty of them for various sprint cars a back when they first came out........BF-200 .....BF-201most of the carb guys would have someone make a sheet metal intake manifold anyways...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts