Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a pump gas motor for my gt40 replica/kit car and want to get a set of heads ordered here shortly. I was even considering a set of Cleveland heads but anything that flows is way out of my price range. I am going to use a Hilborn downdraft EFI intake so virtually any heads can be used.

My goal is to hit over 700 hp NA 11:1.

I was talking to a couple shops about some Trickflow high port 240's and was ready to pull the trigger, but now I am wondering about the brodix head hunters. I would prefer to stay professionally assembled but the Brodix heads come assembled near my price range.

Im not against any other brands but those seem to be the top ones I have found for that price range.

Which brings me to an interesting question. A little flow bench racing according to advertised numbers. According to one of the shops numbers and the Brodix advertised numbers The HP240's with 2.100 /1.600 flow a ton between .200 and .400 lift but the Headhunters outflow everything above .400.

Is it better to flow more faster when the valve is opening or more high numbers as the valve opens up completely? What does this do to the power curve of a motor?

Also how does the exhaust flow numbers effect things? I see the High ports flow much better on the exhaust side.

Im restricted to 1 7/8 primaries for my 180* exhaust. Im not sure how much this will hinder things either.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Following. I just learned the Headhunters exist. (It was a 434 making over 800 hp before nitrous). Would they work well on a smaller cubic motor like a 357 or 408?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
You may want to look into Higgins Race heads. They go for $5000 AUD(about $3600 USD), and for that you get a pair of bare heads, and intake. They have a few different port configurations and you may be able to call those guys up and see if they will sell you one without the intake. I bought a set and I am very happy with the quality for the money and they went 436cfm with the intake at .850 lift on my engine builders flow bench, which is more than what was advertised.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You may want to look into Higgins Race heads. They go for $5000 AUD(about $3600 USD), and for that you get a pair of bare heads, and intake. They have a few different port configurations and you may be able to call those guys up and see if they will sell you one without the intake. I bought a set and I am very happy with the quality for the money and they went 436cfm with the intake at .850 lift on my engine builders flow bench, which is more than what was advertised.
I sent them a message and they told me to call them to talk about a setup. A bit hard to do and probably cashy to call being they are in Australia. Ed from FTI also just suggested I look into these. I sent them another message. That is exactly the price range I wanted to be in too.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
A bit hard to do and probably cashy to call being they are in Australia.
You can't afford a phone call? Not talking about a flight to Australia, talking about a phone call. Frick. Anytime I have a customer wanting to actually speak to me via phone about their combo I'm all over it. Personalized service....getting to be a thing of the past. My recommendation would be to 'Take advantage'!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
A bit hard to do and probably cashy to call being they are in Australia.
You can't afford a phone call? Not talking about a flight to Australia, talking about a phone call. Frick. Anytime I have a customer wanting to actually speak to me via phone about their combo I'm all over it. Personalized service....getting to be a thing of the past. My recommendation would be to 'Take advantage'!
Point taken. After work, it should be mid morning over there and i will give them a call, if i can figure out how to make an international call.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So Nathan Higgins actually talked to me on facebook messenger before i could call. Saved a $4 a min phone call. He quoted me a price of $3500 for bare heads from some he has in North Carolina. He said for $500 more he could include a set of Victory Valves. Not sure what those cost normally.

He said he could also put something together in Australia but figured it would be cheaper to do so state side. Not sure what shipping would be but that seems maybe a bit on the high side for shipping if you got both intake and heads for approximately $3600 US.

Waiting to hear about how much t&d rocker system will cost that will fit those heads.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
$3600 is the price in USD, not including shipping. I have never seen a set of cylinder heads listed with the price including shipping from the manufacturer. Also, are you sure that price was just for the heads, he sells everything as a head and manifold package from what i can understand.

For the ones sitting with his guy in NC you are saving money on international shipping and duty fees associated with importing goods from another country, so at $3500 you are getting them for a deal.

You can call T&D and get prices from them. The rockers for these heads cost the same as a shaft rocker for any other cylinder head.

Also, FYI, the cost to add Australia to my phone plan was $5 a month, which was money well spent, if you want a set of these heads and have questions the way to get quick straight answers is a phone call.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Higgins have answered almost all my questions and Hilborn says they can match the heads for their intake without a problem.

My last real question is are these heads too big for a 4.125 bore pump gas 427? The intake valves are 2.225. They do sell a 2.150 valve head also. I want this setup to handle a 1400 mile power tour.

If I do go Cleveland head I am going with Higgins.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just put a blower on it. Heads are never big enough.
Ha, Im half way threw 20 some pages on a thread about this now. I do see some very BASIC formulas that say 53-53.5% on the valve to bore ratio is as high as you should go on a canted head intake valve.

2.225/4.125 is 53.9%
a 2.18 valve or smaller would probably be more ideal is my guess.

Higgins do sell a set machined for 2.160. I wonder how much air flow is lost. I doubt it will make much difference on my combo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts