Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used these heads, I have an opportunity to get a set of these. They are 365 cc intake, flowed 385.
Im building a 615 with a fogger and plate.
I was told the heads are cnc ported for brodi by someone else, but the flow numbers look a bit low for current tech, can these heads be improved and are they a good starting point, hopefully the head gerus will chime in.

Thanks John

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm currently working on a pair for a customer with a 540, NA engine. Target HP in the 840-860HP range. Nice head, IMO, but there are quite a few more heads out there (including from Brodix) that will outperform it. One issue is the 26*valve angle. The lack of shortside height, and the very small corner radius' the come with. I started out with an as cast pair, so the chambers and exh ports are actually much better after i do them than most of the BB2 type heads that were "generic" cncd from what i've seen. The intake ports with a 2.300"valve and the right vjob/valve combo, would and should go an honest 410cfm @around .850-.900"lift. So.... unless the your flowbench is ultra conservative, your heads stand for some improvement, especially on that large of and engine!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike
Sounds like you feel this head has limitations based on the intake valve angle and short side turn, can this head be improved upon and at what effort versus gains in performance, also i feel the intake runner volume is a little low for a 615, if the runner is opened up do the same restrictions and limitations still apply

John

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
I got the first gen BB3 cnc X oval ports with a 351 intake runner and a 2.350 valve. They flowed 419 CFM after I smoothed the machine marks out of them but they stalled at .800 lift. Curtis Boggs worked on them for me and he got them to flow 449 at 1.00 which is what I have now and I have a 565. If you want to go fast with a 632 I'd get a better head for it. Those BB2 heads seemed to work good for a 505 or 511 motor.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Realmcoy, I aggree the BB3ovals are superior. I just finished a set about 3weeks ago for a 565.
None the less these are the heads ([email protected]) the mans got, so he must make due.
Your correct that the current port volume/csa is small for your size engine. A larger valve is advised, especially for the way those chambers are in a 26*head, where the larger valve sunk a lil will aid in a better transition into the chamber with the top cut.
I don't know what your target HP is, if you've got all the other variables covered, you should be able to make 900HP on motor, (this is with more work to the heads).

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Brodix 2 xtra is the best 26 degree head available. But is isn't the best conventional head available today. If this 605 has pistons for a 26 degree head the 2 xtra is what you are stuck with. If you haven't bought pistons then the Head Hunter Brodix are the best available.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Not a bad head but given what's availble today there's definitely room for improvement. Did a set for s 522 BBC, in a 4 link RED just under 1900 pounds. Has run 7.50's on gas and 40's on Q16 which is better than expected based on flow. Cam is only .750 lift also. Remember the heads are only one piece of the combo!! If your planning a NOS setup that will help things on the intake side given the cubes so pay attention to the exhaust side of the heads and the cam.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
If you don't have them yet, .. take Mark up on his offer and call him before you do,
Brodix does a bb3 that's still kind of a rectangle port but 24º, .. really nice head and likely overlooked
since everyone thinks there's magic in ovals.

615's need port area, .. cross sectional area is the key to making power in your combo, ..
plus of course the valve area to match.

curtis

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm currently working on a pair for a customer with a 540, NA engine. Target HP in the 840-860HP range. Nice head, IMO, but there are quite a few more heads out there (including from Brodix) that will outperform it. One issue is the 26*valve angle. The lack of shortside height, and the very small corner radius' the come with. I started out with an as cast pair, so the chambers and exh ports are actually much better after i do them than most of the BB2 type heads that were "generic" cncd from what i've seen. The intake ports with a 2.300"valve and the right vjob/valve combo, would and should go an honest 410cfm @around .850-.900"lift. So.... unless the your flowbench is ultra conservative, your heads stand for some improvement, especially on that large of and engine!
Came across this post from years ago, and I am taking a chance on some advice. I have the BB2 heads , intake 20000 exhaust 24000 lift 700 exhaust 730. 1250 Dominator. I really don't know much about the motor. other than possibly a 468 BB. car weighs at 2300. trying to figure out if this combo may work or what the HP may be? Bought the engine practically new from a widow with no paperwork.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts