Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never seen them until today. 2.180 valves.
Anyone familiar? Acceptable boost head?

·
35,222 Posts
Must be a class type of head.... don't see the purpose for it other than a specific set of rules. Something Dirt track or endurance type of racing.

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback Chris. Think I will cool my jets on those.
Maxey: I think the sweet 16 is a big block head. You can still get the small block 16 degree on Jeg's website. So I think they are still a thing. Just not sure what that thing is for.
The ones I saw locally have big titanium valves in them. Looks like good exhaust flow, which wouldn't hurt in my turbo application. The flow numbers aren't crazy good. I would have to either adapt my intake to these heads with a plate or find an intake that I can transfer my induction system onto.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Chris. Think I will cool my jets on those.
Maxey: I think the sweet 16 is a big block head. You can still get the small block 16 degree on Jeg's website. So I think they are still a thing. Just not sure what that thing is for.
The ones I saw locally have big titanium valves in them. Looks like good exhaust flow, which wouldn't hurt in my turbo application. The flow numbers aren't crazy good. I would have to either adapt my intake to these heads with a plate or find an intake that I can transfer my induction system onto.
Most people just jump to their 13degree.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
How much power do you want to make? I dont see a reason for more than a good 18 deg head on a turbo combo. The 23 deg heads today are awesome. For reasonable power levels that is. Sub 2000 hp i guess

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How much power do you want to make? I dont see a reason for more than a good 18 deg head on a turbo combo. The 23 deg heads today are awesome. For reasonable power levels that is. Sub 2000 hp i guess
Well, that is a good question. I bracket race it. So being able to leave hard and get things done early without boost makes things easier for that. Being able to run low boost without an intercooler is nice as well. My 23 degree heads are decent, but not great by any means. Track 1's with the pinch opened. But still has 2.08" intake valves, and the exhaust is so, so. If I go with new heads, I want to jump to where I want to be for the next many years. Even if it is only a 1300 hp deal now, I want room to grow if I am making a move.
Ideal would be to fall into some really decent heads that someone leaves to go to really great heads.

·
Registered
485 Posts
We had a set of them once for nitrous.They were decent head power wise and had good decks on them.We did some work with 2.200 valve and port work.We just put a good shelving 15 deg piston in them instead of waiting to get a 16 made.Engine made 900 plus hp na.I think they were a huge step up from 18x we had before.

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We had a set of them once for nitrous.They were decent head power wise and had good decks on them.We did some work with 2.200 valve and port work.We just put a good shelving 15 deg piston in them instead of waiting to get a 16 made.Engine made 900 plus hp na.I think they were a huge step up from 18x we had before.
how was the intake manifold selection? Can 23 degree manifolds be adapted? How were tgey out of the box before porting?

·
Registered
485 Posts
You wouldn't want to put that amount of effort in 23 junk to fit them.Face angle is not even correct.2958 is what we used.One of those manifolds from Brett Miller wud be the ticket now.Look at valve spacing on this head.Thats why I wanted them.Ours did [email protected] after work we did.Not going to get that out of 18x or 18 gm castings or any 22-23 stuff.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The guy running it now had a 23 victor t ram with spacers made for tall deck and milled to 5 deg face.It had alum plating welded everywhere and looked like sheet metal manifold.He ran low 4.60s in 1900 lb dragster.He thought it was too heavy and bought sheetmetal from Hogan and slowed down 1-1/2 tenths.They are great heads for that valve angle.Our 12.5 dart stuff kicked the shit out of them tho by 45 hp

1 - 19 of 19 Posts