Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys.
I am looking at a set of second hand Brodix -12's that are cnc'ed from Brodix. They are "B" castings with 270cc int runners, 2.150 & 1.60 valves and 67cc chambers. They appear unhurt and can be had for @ $2k with matching ported intake.

I have searched and read for days. The numbers from Brodix are said to be inflated at Int. [email protected] and Ex. [email protected]

Planning on bolting them to a 406ci w/11.5:1 comp, w/roller cam to fit, single 4, turning @7500 rpm in #3000lb truck, Pglide, 5500 converter, 275 radial street/drag piece. I already have spread port headers, 60/40 shafts and offset roller lifters.

What do they really flow in this state? What type of power have you guys seen from them in this state?
What can some of you talented porters do with this casting? Will the cost of working the head price this deal out of the market? Should I be looking at something else, newer, better?

Thanks in advance. -Kevin

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Mid to late 90s worked on dozens of those for late models and sprints.when I put them on bench saw 345-346 cfm area.getting valve job right was big with those heads.we made 800-815 hp on gas and 830-840 injected alky.from what I have learned since then I'm sure I could do 840-870 on gas nowadays.imo that manifold sucks.without a welder and tons of work I think you will be stuck around 800 hp with its potential.we had bigger headed sprint stuff in late 90s and guys still said old brodix was more drivable.if I had a dollar for every minute I wasted on those I could take a big break for awhile.lol.way better stuff out there now days.if lower power is ok then you will be fine.have made 1000 hp with dart 18/15 format.def better stuff available.not enough intake valve for 400 plus cubic inch.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I think the "B" Head is a 70/125 valve spacing. I'm not sure if the 60/40 shafts will work but I have a feeling they will not. Messed w/ a set that was 255cc 2.2 valve and it flowed 300cfm at like .400 but never got past 330 just kind of held on, it was quiet port and made about 740 on a 406, dropped like a rock after 7300 w/ a 2970.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I was looking to improve a pump gas street/drag set up that we did.

Previous set up was a forged flat top 383 w/ AFR 210's race ready, Crower flat tappet .515, 4150 carb that went 10:65 @ 3100lbs through a power-glide, 5500 stall, full exhaust, air cleaner and bench seat in an full weight s-10.

I have a 406 that is 23*, ancient sprint car afr-225's, .670 roller cam, roller rocker, forged domes, ect. and was considering this top end to step it up. The current bullet is estimated to push the truck into the 9:80 range on race gas thanks to the compression. I would like to see mid 9's (or better?) on pump friendly compression. No e-85 around here, so 93 is about as good as it gets.

I was thinking about flat tops, 0 deck (<--I am already there.), soften the chambers, update the porting, and get a proper intake and maybe bolt the plate on for some fun.

As far as intake goes, I am open to suggestions. I am not against a tunnel ram, I just need to adjust for it.

Just looking to drive a few street miles 50-100 at a time and drag some @ss when at the track.
800hp on mild compression would be a dream, so I am guessing an honest 700+ would be the best that I could hope on 15* mild comp. & pump gas...?

Why are these heads are considered a "good nitrous" head?
Suggestions for an decent working & priced intake? (Single or dual carb)
Are they worth $2000. used?

Thanks.

·
draggin' ass
13,418 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

·
draggin' ass
13,418 Posts
80 pound sbc head?

·
Registered
927 Posts
-12 have a 1.65 pivot length on the rockers and a couple of valve offsets.They are some of the best bang for the buck heads you can find.Make sure your piston valve reliefs match the different angles of the heads.$2000 is a fair price if they are ready to bolt on with a good intake.With .187 thick spacers any 23 degree intake will bolt to them.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
-12 have a 1.65 pivot length on the rockers and a couple of valve offsets.They are some of the best bang for the buck heads you can find.Make sure your piston valve reliefs match the different angles of the heads.$2000 is a fair price if they are ready to bolt on with a good intake.With .187 thick spacers any 23 degree intake will bolt to them.

I also agree. The head is an older style and design of casting. But they will and can make some power. We run a set in our UltraStreet car and have been competitive.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
80 pound sbc head?
Yes the 14 deg iron has a really raised runner and the heads are really tall because of that. They were 80# with the box so maybe 3-5# for box? There's a lot of meat in those castings, they can go over 300cc intake runners easily. Hey Vinny did you ever get that lightening program for them done?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1504434

Bet you can buy these ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and do better with your eyes closed!

He cant even use them anymore so would probably cut you a killer deal!
I saw those...

They look like a solid deal.

I have a set of Dart Iron Eagles and the are 30%-40% heaver than a gm casting. I guess 70 lbs or more.

They will dent the fenders swinging them over the side to put them on.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With .187 thick spacers any 23 degree intake will bolt to them. <----Thanks, RCJ...!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I was wondering about that. Would a prepped Super Vic be a good choice to use vs. the Brodix intake?
Its got a Chad Speier worked intake with a bit of $$$ in the porting & prep.

I also have a Edelbrock tunnel ram that I have been wanting to use on something...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts