Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya,

I might be bringing my '95 Mustang home from storage. For the last 2 years I haven't seen it or touched it. I know its safe in a climate controlled garage. From time to time I get pictures of it from the guy who storing it. (he is a personal friend of the family)Its my fault for not getting up to check on it but now I have a family (my son has never seen the car) and my new job requires me to in my service area 24/7 which is 1.5 hours from storage.

Would the gaskets start to leak and dry out for sitting so long? Could my rings be rusted to the cylinder walls? These questions will determine if I am peddling the car next year or driving it.

The car has been...

Sitting on vehicle dollies
plastic between the concrete and the car
Mothballs under the car, on pie tins under the hood, trunk
Fuel was dumped out
battery was removed
car was covered

It had fresh oil before storage, but the engine wasn't fogged. Trans, diff, coolant had all been changed that year it was stored.

What are the steps on bring it home? I will be towing the car back. I would be dumping the fuel, trans fluid, diff fluid, coolant, engine oil before starting it. Thank god for trailers with winches.

In the case I can't bring it home that day. Should I fog the engine, move the tires on the dollies, and pay the guy for another 6 months? And in the spring look at selling it?

I am planning on driving up there this weekend, if I can with a trailer, if not with next year storage and something to fog it with.

·
Brewmaster
12,620 Posts
Fresh battery, check fluids, check tires, fill it up, fire it up and drive it. Fired up and drove a truck that had been sitting for 4 years stored outside, no problems.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One, it wasn't suppose to up there longer than 6 months. Two my other priorities i.e. family and job took first billing. I would scrap it before it came between my kid or my job.

I didn't ask if it would start if I dropped in a battery. It was more like what would you do when you arrived after not moving it for 2 years.

·
Registered
28,611 Posts
The scrapping part sounds like your best bet.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
If it was mine i would probably take distributor out and spin shaft with a drill to get some oil pressure in there before turning on and probably turn engine over by hand a bit before actually turning it on, then i would just look over the car to see what all needs to be serviced...check tires for flat spots.

·
Non Timebo Mala
3,126 Posts
Considering My Impala started after 14 years sitting under a shed, With an oil change and battery I'd say your fine. Bring fresh gas, oil. get on the trailer, bring it home then change the other fluids and drive it.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, some information is good and others is fucked up. Interesting mixed bag.

I wasn't even going to start the engine till I primed it, turned the engine over by hand, dumped the fuel tank, and replaced all the fluids. But thanks for the help.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Take off the coil plug and turn the motor over to get some oil pressure. Or do the drill thing and cuss when you drop the drive.

Put in new fuel and change the engine oil and roll imho.

Sounds like the car has been well cared for. So i wouldnt be worried.

·
Ass, Gas or Grass
17,203 Posts
Take off the coil plug and turn the motor over to get some oil pressure. Or do the drill thing and cuss when you drop the drive.

Put in new fuel and change the engine oil and roll imho.

Sounds like the car has been well cared for. So i wouldnt be worried.
THIS! Shit, I wouldnt even change the oil if it was fresh when stored. Check.it to make sure theres no water in it and run it. Think how old oil actually is... I dont see the additive package evaporating in a sealed up motor.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Your fucked, nothin but problems now. Ill give ya 2k for it :p

Should be fine, you need to flog it more, very clean car man :cool:

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I wouldn't even waste my time with the drill and distributor. Just pull the fuses for the fuel pump and injectors and crank it over for a few seconds. It will have great oil pressure immediately then.

Also, don't be surprised if the electric fuel pump locked up from sitting. Good thing they're cheap and easy to servoce in that car in the event its dead.

·
Registered
131 Posts
No need to pull fuses to kill the fuel pump.
Just give the inertia switch a whack.

I'd pull the plugs before spinning it over with the starter. Maybe squirt a bit of oil in the cylinder too.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts