Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if anybody knows of 1 forsale with in a reasonable driving distance of mich.PLEASE pm me.THANKS Gary

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Gary,
Look for an off brand vertical mill. The name "Bridgeport" doubles the price it seems. There are alot of good vertical mills out there for cheap, Bridgeport I think cornered the market, therefore everyone thinks they are worth gold.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
While there are plenty of other nice mills, you cant really beat a bridgeport. Some of them are clones and you can interchange parts. Save yourself the trouble and don't buy any chinese mill.

·
7.86 @ 8800DA 3365lb 275s
4,502 Posts
Gary,
Look for an off brand vertical mill. The name "Bridgeport" doubles the price it seems. There are alot of good vertical mills out there for cheap, Bridgeport I think cornered the market, therefore everyone thinks they are worth gold.
X2 there are plenty of quality machine's out there that don't come with the "bridgeport" upcharge

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
look for EXCELLO , FIRST, ACRA , BRIDGEPORT , LAGUN , all are quality machine with similar features seen them as cheap as $1500 with DRO and servo feeds , most sizes are typically a 9"x42" or a 9"x49" table , some of the bigger models are 10"x51" or 10"x54" most will also have a R8 spindle taper , some of the bigger machines with be a #40 taper , stay away from the #30 taper they may be cheap but the taper can be hard to find at times , . also some machines may be found with a Morse taper in the spindle avoid those as well . if you where closer i know a couple machines local to me that could be had for a good price .

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
Bridgeport if your looking for repeatablity

If its one offs then less will do just fine

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
look for EXCELLO , FIRST, ACRA , BRIDGEPORT , LAGUN , all are quality machine with similar features seen them as cheap as $1500 with DRO and servo feeds , most sizes are typically a 9"x42" or a 9"x49" table , some of the bigger models are 10"x51" or 10"x54" most will also have a R8 spindle taper , some of the bigger machines with be a #40 taper , stay away from the #30 taper they may be cheap but the taper can be hard to find at times , . also some machines may be found with a Morse taper in the spindle avoid those as well . if you where closer i know a couple machines local to me that could be had for a good price .
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
one thing to remember is a lot of the times the machines are being sold for a reason , they are getting worn on the ways and gibs so becarefull you don,t find a worn out whore that has been beat-on , the shop beside me rotates their machines once they get a few thou of wear , mind you they are a mold shop , but none the less i have seen some machines that where only good for counterweights and anchors LOL

·
Registered
736 Posts
there's one in the for sale section. (misc parts)

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I wasnt telling you to buy a chinese knock off...but instead another good old american made piece. Their are plenty of others out there...Bridgeports are just the most expensive.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Since you live in Michigan you shouldn't have a problem finding one. I found an amazing deal on a bridgeport with a 2J head (variable speed). I paid $1000 and that included a DRO, coolant sprayer, electrical box, chromed ways and x axis power feed. Everything was in good condition and I've been using it for a year or so now. Make sure you get a sensorless vector style VFD to use with it. There really isn't any better way to power it than a VFD so don't even think about a rotary phase converter or static phase converter!

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
rotary phases work if you set them up right , mine is 5yrs old and has been trouble free and it gets used 20 to 30 hrs a week

·
4,502 Posts
hell i ran my lathe with a static phase converter for 4 or 5 years then i blew it up (couldn't run the machine on high which was fine but try a couple times:rolleyes:) it worked fine. built a rotary phase converter and it runs fine. my machine is a 7.5HP machine.

just have to remember with a static converter you motor has basically 1/3 the power it does on 3 phase or a rotary.

guy i used to work with has a HAAS VF-1 CNC he runs on a rotary and it has worked fine for the last 6 years or so

so whats wrong with a static or rotary converter?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Because they're more expensive and less efficient. There is no reason with modern technology to continue using outdated equipment such as rotary phase converters and static phase converters.

I ran rotary phase converters for years until I realized I should have been using VFD's this whole time. They are silent, waste no electricity, and give the motor full power, are able to adjust speed digitally, and cost less.

hell i ran my lathe with a static phase converter for 4 or 5 years then i blew it up (couldn't run the machine on high which was fine but try a couple times:rolleyes:) it worked fine. built a rotary phase converter and it runs fine. my machine is a 7.5HP machine.

just have to remember with a static converter you motor has basically 1/3 the power it does on 3 phase or a rotary.

guy i used to work with has a HAAS VF-1 CNC he runs on a rotary and it has worked fine for the last 6 years or so

so whats wrong with a static or rotary converter?

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
i run 2 machines at once at times and have multiple motors with different HP ratings on each machine to set it up for VFD was gonna be very costly and time consuming i chatted with 2 electrical engineers that i know and the company i bought my RFD thru and they all recommended the set-up i have , for a single machine a VFD can be the best design .

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
We have one for sale--we are in Omaha, Nebraska--we ship items all over the world in my other business (restaurant equipment) so if you think you might be interested call 402-390-2388.

·
Registered
861 Posts
They've come down in price since you probably looked at them. I think the one for my 2hp bridgeport was around $150?

i run 2 machines at once at times and have multiple motors with different HP ratings on each machine to set it up for VFD was gonna be very costly and time consuming i chatted with 2 electrical engineers that i know and the company i bought my RFD thru and they all recommended the set-up i have , for a single machine a VFD can be the best design .

·
4,502 Posts
They've come down in price since you probably looked at them. I think the one for my 2hp bridgeport was around $150?
where do you get them from? i looked around a little found one place that was like you said $150 ish for a 2hp but the 7.5hp was line $600....ouch my static cost me like $100 i have a rotary now but listening to the motor run gets old....lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts