Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'be never had much luck with them (haven't tried too hard). They usually turn out rubbery, I can't really explain it. They are just not fluffy.

I'm making breakfast for the guys at work this Thursday (about 10-12 guys), so give me your best, tried and true recipe.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I've made this one a few times and the family always loves it.

Ingredients:

16-oz. pkg. shredded frozen hashbrowns, thawed and divided
1 onion, chopped and divided
1 pound ground pork sausage, browned and drained
1 green pepper, chopped
4-oz. can sliced mushrooms, drained
1/2 to 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
1 doz. eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: garlic salt to taste

Preparation:

Spread half of the hashbrowns in a lightly greased 13"x9" baking pan. Layer ingredients as follows: half the onion, sausage, remaining onion, green pepper, mushrooms and half the cheese. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and seasonings. Pour egg mixture over casserole; top with remaining hashbrowns and remaining cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight.

Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 20 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.

·
Team Retard
12,443 Posts
6 eggs, beaten
6 slices ham, cubed
6 slices bread, cubed
2 cups milk
1 cup cheese
teaspoon onion, minced
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard

salt and pepper to taste
  1. refrigerate over night
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  3. Grease a 9" x 13" baking pan or dish
  4. Mix ingredients well.
  5. Pour into greased baking pan or dish.
  6. Bake for 45 minute.

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see a pattern, sort of. Thanks!

·
Sizeable Member
7,742 Posts
Bread lightens up egg casseroles like the one Renee posted but the 1 egg to 1 slice of bread ratio is a little too much for me. I cut down on the bread, sometimes by half.

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
stupid question, but does the casserole have to sit overnight before baking? I would guess that maybe that allows the liquid to soak into the bread or hash browns? I want to try a test run, before making it for the shop...

·
Sizeable Member
7,742 Posts
It helps. The only thing about it is that recipes don't account for the fact that this big mass (including the dish) is sitting in the fridge all night. The cooking times they give are almost always too short. I would allow myself some extra time in case it's not done when the recipe says it should be.

·
WTF?
12,518 Posts
Here's what I do, as you know I'm not much on recipe's.

Remove crust from enough bread slices to cover the bottom of your dish. Butter one side, and put it butter side down.
Brown 1-2lbs of sausage, or bacon, or ham, or chorizo (or whatever else you like), drain and let cool.
Beat 12-18 eggs, and ~1/2 cup of milk. Salt and pepper to taste.
Put meat on top of bread.
Cover meat with grated cheese, as much as looks good. I usually end up using 12 ozs or so total.
Add chopped green chiles on top of that.
Pour egg mixture on top, and add a little more cheese if desired.

Let sit in the fridge over night if you can, not mandatory as I've made plenty of these without doing it.
Bake at ~325 for ~1-1.5 hours or until done in the center. Obviously you can add hash browns, onions, or whatever else you like. But the base will stay the same. 18 eggs will feed our whole office of ~16 people, with some left over.

Oh, serve it with some good hot sauce!

·
Former RJ instigator
42,494 Posts
I'be never had much luck with them (haven't tried too hard). They usually turn out rubbery, I can't really explain it. They are just not fluffy.

I'm making breakfast for the guys at work this Thursday (about 10-12 guys), so give me your best, tried and true recipe.
You WORK? Who knew...lol :p

·
Which is more disturbed?
10,577 Posts
I've made this one a few times and the family always loves it.

Ingredients:

16-oz. pkg. shredded frozen hashbrowns, thawed and divided
1 onion, chopped and divided
1 pound ground pork sausage, browned and drained
1 green pepper, chopped
4-oz. can sliced mushrooms, drained
1/2 to 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
1 doz. eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: garlic salt to taste

Preparation:

Spread half of the hashbrowns in a lightly greased 13"x9" baking pan. Layer ingredients as follows: half the onion, sausage, remaining onion, green pepper, mushrooms and half the cheese. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and seasonings. Pour egg mixture over casserole; top with remaining hashbrowns and remaining cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight.

Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 20 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
This sounds pretty damn good

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used Renee's recipe (doubled it) and it turned out good. I must admit, it was a lot more work than I thought it would be an dit had to bake for over 2 hours! I think next time, I will try a slow cooker type recipe, so that I do not have to wake up at 3 am to start the oven, LOL!

I will definatley try the french toast recipe listed above. THAT looks awesome!

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
skosler, I know what you mean by rubbery. One of my Nieces makes great casseroles. I asked her how and she said crusty bread gives texture and keeps it light and don't soak too long. French bread not too big around was her choice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts