Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2000 Sierra 1500 4 x 4 extended cab, 5.3, it started driving funny, then started to hear a humming noise and a slight "hot" smell, coming from up front and I noticed that "squishy" brake pedal feeling was now a lot more solid.
This happens after driving the truck on the highway after 10 minutes going 65 mph.
When using cruise control, on a flat straight run, the truck will kick down in gear, as if it's under some kind of a load.
Ended up taking it a shop and they found both front brake calipers were locking up, so he tells me I need new calipers, hoses and possibly pads.
After a hefty bill, the truck still doesn't drive right, still makes a humming sound, but not as bad, but you cans till hear it, still smells, has a vibration and the brake pedal is still solid.
I'm thinking the vibration is bad rotors. He told me they looked ok, they were blue'd but since there was no vibration when you hit the brake pedal, he felt they didn't need replaced.
A guy mentions to me that it could be the proportioning valve, but does this year truck have one or is everything run through the ABS system?
Any thoughts to what could be the problem?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I have a 2000 2500 Sierra and had similar problems when the metal brake lines started breaking down,rust debris in the abs pump and front caliper piston.2000-2008 brake and fuel lines are junk and will FAIL!!

·
Registered
757 Posts
check the fluid level in the master have seen problems with masters over filled and my guess is the hum is a wheel bearing starting to go bad possible from the heat of dragging brakes

·
Registered
303 Posts
Got a 2000 Sierra 1500 4 x 4 extended cab, 5.3, it started driving funny, then started to hear a humming noise and a slight "hot" smell, coming from up front and I noticed that "squishy" brake pedal feeling was now a lot more solid.
This happens after driving the truck on the highway after 10 minutes going 65 mph.
When using cruise control, on a flat straight run, the truck will kick down in gear, as if it's under some kind of a load.
Ended up taking it a shop and they found both front brake calipers were locking up, so he tells me I need new calipers, hoses and possibly pads.
After a hefty bill, the truck still doesn't drive right, still makes a humming sound, but not as bad, but you cans till hear it, still smells, has a vibration and the brake pedal is still solid.
I'm thinking the vibration is bad rotors. He told me they looked ok, they were blue'd but since there was no vibration when you hit the brake pedal, he felt they didn't need replaced.
A guy mentions to me that it could be the proportioning valve, but does this year truck have one or is everything run through the ABS system?
Any thoughts to what could be the problem?
Thanks
1. Is the brake binding problem gone after driving it for 10 mins at hwy speeds? If not, raise each wheel and spin to see which is binding.
2. Humming sound from front or rear? Does it change when you steering left or right (like changing a lane)?
3. Does vibration occur when cruising or braking?
4. Blued rotors have seen excessive heat and should be replaced asap. Coated rotors YH145259C from Advance Auto or Raybestos 56825PER (Rockauto)
5. If pads were not replaced, I would replace with rotors asap. I'd recommend at least Akebono pad ACT785, I prefer Hawk LTS HB323Y.724.
5. Blued rotors indicate the hub bearings likely experienced severe overheating and are on borrowed time, if not already failed causing bearings to whine/growl, etc.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's an update.
The problem is fixed.
Brake fluid was leaking from the back of the master cylinder and into the brake boaster.
From what he tells me, there was a air passage that was being blocked because of the fluid and this caused the solid feeling on my brake pedal and not allow the calipers to release fully.
He drove the truck and when pressure started to build up, he loosened the master cylinder bolts and the brake pedal would release.
He installed a new master cylinder and brake boaster and all issues are back to normal.
Thank you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts