Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which brake controller for the trailer should i use? 28' box with about 4000lb in it? are they all about the same? its a dual axle.

·
Registered
195 Posts
i have a prodigy p2 for my 28 foot inclosed, your gonna spend a few extra bucks for the prodigy, but they are nice units, im sure most would agree

·
Registered
820 Posts
Ditto ^^^^ that,almost everyone I talked to recommended the Tekonsha prodigy controllers.

So that's exactly what I put on mine (P2) to replace the ancient one that was on there.

Agree it's not the cheapest contorller out there,but it seems to be working well so far.

Easy to set-up & adjust too.

BTW my trailer is a 16' open (w/dovetail) with dual axles.

Bret P.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts

·
Stock Suspension FTW!
1,661 Posts
I have a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 that works well but I have had issues. First, both buttons stuck when adjusting the voltage so I sent it back and the new one still does the same thing. Furthermore, every once in a blue moon it use to go to max voltage with the truck not even moving or only going a few MPH. I sent them a video of the truck doing this while the truck engine was off and the controller was applying full voltage to the brakes. In goes that unit and I receive another that seems to be doing well except for the button thing. Not worth the $145 to me considering my old Tekonsha was doing well but I decided to upgrade.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Prodigy here...works flawlessly.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
where do you buy the progidy at?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I got fed up with the inertia based controllers. You have to playing with 'em depending on the load, keep adjusting depending on your speed, works differently on how much inertia it senses, etc, etc. I tried two different Tekonsha controllers and the DrawTite one. All of them acted the same. Total all three controller togerher, I've had a MaxBrake and then some.

With the MaxBrake, once you calibrate the sensor it senses how much brake pressure is applied. Press the brake harder, the hard it brakes and vice versa.

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
where do you buy the progidy at?
i got mine for a pretty good cost at my local trailer/RV supply

I've been looking at the Prodigy P3, i looked at the maxbrake, but the cost seams hard to swallow honestly, does anyone have any experience with the P3?
the P3's main advantage is it's ability to control air over hydraulic brakes on larger trailers... otherwise specs are almost the same as the P2

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so are the reese pod controllers bad or some of their other controllers?

·
A.K.A. MEAN Matt
3,581 Posts
I have a Reese controller on my dually and I have no complaints. Works perfect.

I have a cheapo Curt controller on my beater truck and it's ok. I had to wire and on off switch to it because it would fault out everytime I unhooked the trailer or when it was humid or wet out when driving without the trailer hooked up.

·
Stock Suspension FTW!
1,661 Posts
I have a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 that works well but I have had issues. First, both buttons stuck when adjusting the voltage so I sent it back and the new one still does the same thing. Furthermore, every once in a blue moon it use to go to max voltage with the truck not even moving or only going a few MPH. I sent them a video of the truck doing this while the truck engine was off and the controller was applying full voltage to the brakes. In goes that unit and I receive another that seems to be doing well except for the button thing. Not worth the $145 to me considering my old Tekonsha was doing well but I decided to upgrade.
Correction to my statement I have the P3 not the P2.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I changed vehicles and went from a Tekonsha Voyager to a Prodigy P3 and the difference is night and day. I got it off ebay for just over 100 bux.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts