Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to wedge a 12-V Cummins into a 55 Chevy pick-up. The '99 Ram 2500 frame has been shortened about 24 inches and narrowed 6 to fit the pick-up. The engine and transmission are installed, and the cab and bed are mounted. I am using the accelerator/brake hanger to make the installation of the master cylinder and steering column clean and neat. To get the steering wheel where it needs to be, I need everything moved in a couple of inches, which poses a big interference issue with the injector pump and brake booster. How exactly is a brake booster built? Can I just lop off one side and plate over it to give me the clearance I need? Any options for an off-set brake booster?

·
Registered
472 Posts
you may can find a hydraboost that will fit in where the booster won't, I wouldn't cut into the booster for clearance.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought it was hydroboost becuase the power steering pump was gear driven and had something between the engine an power steering reservoir, but this appears to be a vacuum pump - a vacuum line went from this to the brake booster and T'ed off to the heat/AC controls.
I Googled "Cummins Hydroboost" and, yeah thats entirely different. It's either driving by the same hydraulic pump as the power steering or another, but has hydraulic lines from it to some booster at the master cylinder. Looks like that would work, but I think I'm going to try to offset the brake booster from the assembly that mounts the steering column an pedals. This would require redrilling a hole for the rod that connects the brake pedal to the master cylinder, and fabricating an extension between the brake pedal and the rod.

Thanks for your input and observations. I'll post again if I cant engineer my way out of it. I just need about a 2-inch stagger.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
at Auto Zone. Part # 50-1221. It is smaller in diameter 9" Dual chamber booster works very good

Here is a link to a picture of it....s-10 stuff
http://www.s10racer.com/board/showthread.php?t=7341&page=2

Im also trying to find the link to the gent that made a 30 degree angle mount so it made the master cylinder point almost to the left headlamp area but still mounted on the firewall. (another s-10 thing)

Another way is to use the hydo-boost brake system off a Astro van, works very well!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great tip on the small diameter booster. I'll keep that in mind. Everything just went from bad to worse when I added the hood hinges! Without the hood hinges, it works by simply staggering the pedal hanger and booster - assuming I remote the fuel shut-off solenoid.
The hood looks like it would be a snap to hinge at the front - and that would be cool as hell. I was looking at the pivot for the tail gate on my late model pick-up, could be modified to work on the hood and allow the hood to lift off when raised straight up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts