Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been long overdue, but Brainerd Optimist Drag Strip (Ringgold, GA) is getting a pretty significant update. I know all of the local guys have been keeping up to date, but just wanted to post this up here, in case any out of towners are considering making the trip.

The first 200 feet of the track was already concrete. From 200 feet to a little past the finish line, the track was completely dug up and new concrete was poured. The new concrete will also be ground so it is flat and level with the existing concrete.

Brainerd has a couple of great monthly racing series (275 race and index race), but the track condition has previously been a deterrent to a lot of cars. At Mark Samples' races a few years ago, pretty much everyone struggled to get down the track, but the track crew is working hard to make Brainerd a hot spot for big races again. They plan to be back open in a couple weeks, but the first big event will be the Draggin' for Toys charity race on Saturday, November 16th.

Here are a few pictures:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Wood be nice to a track to go test a fast car at by the house mabe they will put so Limited Street races on there to

·
Registered
560 Posts
^^^^^ I agree 100% with this.. 91 was my first trip down there and was stunned at how fast the cars was then lol... hope it brings the glory days back!!!!

·
D.J. RIBBY
25,529 Posts
Waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy past due! That place was THE place to be first Sunday of every month. So many nobodies who turned into somebodies put their time in there. I hope Brainerd can get back to where it was!!!
Good ole days...was there for many of them...

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
How much does something like that cost? Would blacktop be cheaper or no? Just curious
Concrete is sold by the yard, a cubic yard. A cubic yard of concrete is generally just over $100 delivered, depends on mix and distance of delivery. A cubic yard will do 81 sq. ft. 4" thick. One lane 200' long by 10' wide is 2000 sq ft. divide that by 81 then multiply times 2 and then multiply by $100. That's just materials, no labor or old surface removal.

·
Registered
384 Posts
glad to see it getting a facelift....I sure miss the good old days back in the 90's there...maybe it will get that way again

·
Registered
559 Posts
raced there from the beginning till mid 70s and money got tight. back then there was no cool down time one ran until lost. 119 plus in 1/4 in superstock and 10 in. drum brakes shutdown area got hairy every once in a while

1 - 17 of 17 Posts