Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mike
7,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am dialing in the bellhousing, and keep getting called in to work, and am a bit frazzled. Stock pins on the SBC are .012 out TIR no +, or -. Block, and bell have been smoothed out, no burs, or build ups. Bolts are above, and below the dowel pins.

Put .007 dowels in, now I get minus .002, and plus .001(-.002 +.001, so my feeble mind is telling me I'm there -.001??? Thanks for looking, I'm tired.....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Average the absolute values of the two and that’s your TIR (in this case .002+.001=.003, .003/2=.0015). .005” or less and you’re good to go; you’re there! For reference, paper is typically .004”. That’s how I did mine back in 2012 (but I didn’t get it that close, very tedious procedure) and no problems since; but someone correct me if I’m wrong.

·
Registered
479 Posts
IMO I would put all the bell bolts in and torque them. If I'm not mistaken you should check the trans mating face for parallelism first before doing coeccentricity checking. Just my .01 cents input. My Quicktime was out on both, but it was bolted to 50 yr old block.

·
slams revolving doors
3,832 Posts
Run it!
That is a very nice Bell.
At some point I have to replace my old lakewood i have on mine.

·
Mike
7,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I was checking with only 4 bolts in, by the dowel pin, after putting on all of the bolts the reading is off. 48 hr shift, back at it when I get home. It is a nice can, Nova fork opening.

·
Busy being a cunt
30,156 Posts
IMO I would put all the bell bolts in and torque them. If I'm not mistaken you should check the trans mating face for parallelism first before doing coeccentricity checking. Just my .01 cents input. My Quicktime was out on both, but it was bolted to 50 yr old block.
My current Quicktime was the closest I've ever used :cool:

·
Mike
7,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Adding all of the bolts did change the readings, and I was at work for a couple of days. The can is set at .004 out, and I'm not going to chase it for a street runner, if I do run it at the track we'll see how it goes. The clutch I had was set up with a thin disc, and the new disc is thicker, so that throws off all of the perimeters. It had been set up for a BBC, heavy car, so I emailed Cale to see how he wants to set it up now for the Nova. This is a setup I sent him to refurbish awhile ago

1 - 8 of 8 Posts