Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i see expanded and split braided wire looms from delcity waytek amazon etc...

im buying some to do my efi install, is there any drawbacks from the split loom? any brands to stay away from?

also i see most want 100ft minimum orders i def dont need that much, who deals with it by the foot?

·
Registered
16,344 Posts
I typically don't use the braided but my experience is that what ever you do initially with the wiring, you will either change your mind about the routing or find a problem and need to redo something. With the split loom you can open up the bundle and access the wires. If you completely enclose it, any changes will be very difficult. I actually use a lot of the plastic split wrap, it's easy to pull off and put back on. But that's me, I am always changing and upgrading things that require rewiring.

I like to use shrink sleeve to combine some wires that will always run together such as for a 3 wire sensor (power, ground, signal). You can always open up the shrink sleeve though it may be tough to redo depending on the changes.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I've been using 4R Customs out of Rowley, MA for small orders of GXL wire, braided sleeving, heat shrink tubing, etc. They have an ebay store under BRUSSELLEX, and have been willing to do discounts on multi-item orders if I email them first and get a quote. They have also been my go-to for Deutsch connectors lately. They've been very good about responding to e-mails.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I typically don't use the braided but my experience is that what ever you do initially with the wiring, you will either change your mind about the routing or find a problem and need to redo something. With the split loom you can open up the bundle and access the wires. If you completely enclose it, any changes will be very difficult. I actually use a lot of the plastic split wrap, it's easy to pull off and put back on. But that's me, I am always changing and upgrading things that require rewiring.

I like to use shrink sleeve to combine some wires that will always run together such as for a 3 wire sensor (power, ground, signal). You can always open up the shrink sleeve though it may be tough to redo depending on the changes.

the split wrap i was referring to is the "wrap" around braided. I have a ton of the conventional plastic split wrap ( convoluted tubing) i wanted braided because it looks nicer, and i run the shrink sleeve on pigtails in the same way lol its tight clean and good at protecting.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been using 4R Customs out of Rowley, MA for small orders of GXL wire, braided sleeving, heat shrink tubing, etc. They have an ebay store under BRUSSELLEX, and have been willing to do discounts on multi-item orders if I email them first and get a quote. They have also been my go-to for Deutsch connectors lately. They've been very good about responding to e-mails.
ill check them out, luckily i have access to practically as much deutsch connector and pins as i could need lol they are pricey

thanks.

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
I prefer the split sleeving for issues mentioned above. Makes it nice for maintenance. Then I heat shrink over the ends to prevent fray and to improve the quality of the looks.

·
Registered
16,064 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
TechFlex F6 is great. We're using it on our upcoming drop on harness lineup. No more inconvenient than split loom, only a little more expensive, won't catch on fire and very difficult to melt. Appears to be less likely to turn brittle in the long term, too.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I just ordered a good bit of f6 from the electrical depot. They seemed to have th4 best price and it was quick shipping.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Electricaldepot hooked me up, got 25ft each of 1/4 , 3/8, 1/2, 3/4. Now im waiting for my bs3 to arrive to start my swap

1 - 20 of 22 Posts