Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
OG Member since 9/7/06
17,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been killing pushrods and I've been told by a few guys that it is the Brad Penn oil that I am running. I have made the switch to LAT tonight after I got today's damage repaired but was wondering if the two are compatible as it will take a few changes to get the dry-sump completely flushed out and run 100% LAT.

Combo is a twin turbo big block Chevy with 14.5 degree spread ports on it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I run both and switched between them and not seen any issues, which LAT did you go for? is this engine on methanol?

cheers Richie

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
curious. did this problem just appear out of nowhere, the pushrod issue? Was it a combination that ran fine and then shit the bed, or is it a different combination?

Reason i ask is ive seen a lot of pushrod issues that people thought was oil, it turned out to be the valvetrain out of control, and it was hammering pushrods and rocker adjusters. Ive been there myself with the 500".

One good flush with a few qts of the new oil should get most of the old oil out. It shouldnt leave enough to contaminate the new oil. Take 3-4 qts of the new oil and so a good flush, then do a complete fill.

·
OG Member since 9/7/06
17,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went with the Nitro 50w as it is a methanol motor.

Yes, it has been a proven combo that has been in the mid-lower 4's but has eaten them up twice now.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I went with the Nitro 50w as it is a methanol motor.

Yes, it has been a proven combo that has been in the mid-lower 4's but has eaten them up twice now.
When they went bad twice, did you replace lifters, pshrods and rocker arm cups? Same everything and it failed again?

·
OG Member since 9/7/06
17,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. Complete new rockers even.
I think I have found the issue, I am going to try something different tomorrow & report back.

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
Look at the valve tip face pattern, better yet put Dykem on the valve tips (good to do on all new combo's IMO) and find out if your getting valve train separation damaging the pushrods, if you are you should see more than one sweep direction on the valve tip

·
OG Member since 9/7/06
17,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you, that is a good idea!

·
Registered
272 Posts
We heard that the Penn did change when the bottle and company changed. Also the company states that a formula change claim is false????

Anyhow we were killing the occasional push rod and adjuster on our LS that makes roughly 3000+hp on alky with twin 94s. This was with Penn 50.

We switched to Maxima after hearing the rumors and some people where having the same issues, and also bearing issues. We have run 9 passes now with out touching the lash. I will try to remember to post back on this thread as we make more runs. We typically go 50 on rods, springs and lifters.

·
OG Member since 9/7/06
17,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you TJ, I have been hearing the same things and so we will see. I was hoping to go test today but could not get the track rental lined up in time.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
I have talked with the Penn Rite vice president that has worked at the Bradford Pennsylvania Refinery since it made Kendall GT-1 , thru Brad Penn and now Penn Rite. His wife is also the chief chemist there. According to him the only change to that oil was when Brad Penn did an improvement to the original Kendall oil years ago. There was no change to the formulation since then. The bottle and name change to Penn Rite was made to have uniformity with the rest of the company labeling. The oil is now bottled near Carmel Indiana (North of Indianapolis) in Penn Rites main facility.

I have used and sold Brad Penn lubricants for years and have yet to have anyone tell me that they thought they had a lubrication issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts