Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on cutting out the center section of the main crossmember under the oil pan (where the notch is currently) on my Nova subframe and replacing it with tubing to give me room to remove the oil pan without pulling the engine. My question is, if I brace it across with angle like the picture, would that hold everything where it belongs until I get the tube section fabbed up? I’d be leaving the front crossmember in.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16,071 Posts
If your going to start modifying that deep, why not look at a rack conversion at the same time? Just a thought?

·
Registered
211 Posts
When mine was done the front clip was out of the car and I don’t think they even braced it.... maybe install the motor mounts and bolt that bar to them..
9E32AB59-7FA3-4D69-8E90-5E4C1012C087.jpeg

·
Registered
8,999 Posts

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
If you have the cash I’d put a full tube front end on it you would save a ton of weight and get the pan access too

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you have the cash I’d put a full tube front end on it you would save a ton of weight and get the pan access too
A lot more to it than just switching over. Not that it’s hard, but there’s a lot more to it. Cutting from frame ties, making a core support, motor/mid plates, rack and pinion, etc.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
This is how mine is done. I did it on the lift with no weight on the wheels. No issues with front end alignment
What steering box is that?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Someone use an old trailer hitch on that one???
Not trying to be an a hole, but that's gotta weigh more then what was there....
The idea wasn’t weight. It was for room for a good pan. I had done a different frame and it was too weak so I used some stout plate to make it strong. With it done this way I have 0 bump steer.

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
I don't dare run a Vega box because my Nova is so heavy.
What parts did you use to get zero bump steer without a rack and pinion conversion?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts