Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a 502 block with a Bowtie on it. Does that mean it has billet mains or anything? How much hp have you guys seen with these blocks? From what it sounds like the dart is a little more beefy. I would like to squeeze 1500hp at the crank with it. I've been running around 1200hp for 15 years with it and had no problem. Does the bowtie on the block mean anything?

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Should either be a Bowtie or a production 502, not both...post the casting number

·
Registered
13 Posts
i wouldn't use anything that doesn't have the extra cylinder head bolt bosses. if i remember right you have 2 cylinders on both sides missing a head bolt.

·
I kill parts
9,846 Posts
Bowtie block is a good block, but isn't a Dart. - They are not billet caps factory, but people have added them.

Main things to have checked if you really want to push it for high power would be cam and lifter correlation. GM and Merlin castings have been known to have enough core shift/machining shift to need corrected, more so with the Merlins than the GM.

I have seen the bowtie BB block pushed into the 2k range multiple times. We had one at 4.625" that was filled with a 1471 HH on top and after 4 seasons of abuse it split 3 walls.

·
Registered
24,599 Posts
Brodix sbc blocks are pretty nice, but they didn’t design them with blind head bolt bosses as others all have. Don’t ask me why.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
had a bowtie block,bored it to .125 over and it went right thru to water jacket had a dart block bored .185 over still had over .250 left

21 - 29 of 29 Posts