Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question that’s pertains to bottle pressure and temperature as I have a wild ass idea (am always thinking) and am a nitrous virgin.
If I take a full 20#nitrous bottle, warm the bottle before the run to say 900 psi, spray a 225hp at the end of a ¼ mile run what will the bottle pressure be and how much will it change temperature? The reason I ask is because I have the bottle mounted right above the tranny cooler on a dragster. I have the fan directed right on the bottle as I would like to take the heat from the tranny to heat the bottle thru the run,, is that a good or bad idea? I could build a cowl to help direct the heat if that would help but like I said I am a nitrous virgin so I am thinking out loud.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,959 Posts
Interesting question...........
I usually see about a 25 psi drop during a pass using a 100hp shot (9.5 seconds). I don't actually measure the temperature of the bottle so I can't answer that. I have found the less full a bottle is the more pressure it loses during a pass.

Would like to see what other people have seen.

If you are increasing pressure more than 50 or so psi during a pass I would watch that. You don't think the air flowing around the bottle will negate the trans cooler heating-effect?

If you do enclose it just watch that pressure. Certainly don't want to lean out the tune too much......

·
"Darkness"
4,942 Posts
Bottle temp and pressure are closely related.

As pressure drops the temp drops with it. There is no easy way to know how much your specific tuneup drops pressure unless you can data record it.

Your cooler blowing hot air on the bottle will not have a huge impact going down the track. It takes some time to heat the bottle back up after a pass.

I'd leave it. But dont expect it to apply enough heat going down the track to combat a pressure drop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts