Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that some time has passed, arrangements made and more important things taken care of, Blake Housley wants everyone to know, what actually happened at SGMP that cost Mike Walker his life. Blake was only 4 feet away and watched the whole thing as it transpired. Two bottles were in the heater, with female/female #6 swivels, attaching a pressure gauge to the valves. Mike turned one of the valves on to check the pressure and the fitting attaching the gauge broke. The bottle got out of the heater and was spinning around on the ground, as Mike tried to catch it. In the course of spinning around on the ground, the bottle struck the wheelie bars of the car. This impact, apparently broke the valve on the bottle and it became a rocket. The bottle then struck the trailer, bounced off, hit Mike and the fractured valve, basically stabbed him in the heart, killing him and then the bottle then took off across the track. Blake just wants everyone to know the truth and maybe this sad incident will teach us all to be a little more careful. So Mike was NOT carrying the bottles and dropped one, as was reported, nor did a bottle or valve simply rupture, as was also reported at one time. As I said before, in other posts, it was just a freak accident, that resulted in the loss of a great guy.

Monte

·
Registered
12,422 Posts
WOW, so sad..... God bless!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
It's sad this happened , but it really sends out a wake up call !! That's something I've done a thousand times !! A person should put clamps in their heating tanks maybe . I know I'll have alot more repect for bottles now !! Thank you Mike you've probably saved several thousand lives I hope !!

·
Registered
31,630 Posts
Condolences to all involved.

Was the female to female #6 swivel adaptor fitting aluminum or steel? Do you know the amount of nitrous that was in the bottle, 90%, 100%, 110%? Do you know the temperature of the bottle heater, electric or water bath?

·
Senior Frog
10,315 Posts
thx for the update.......So Nitrous in itself is not dangerous but the handling of any
compressed gas is - weather it be an airtank or a welding tank.....These are the facts
that I have been seeking since the accident.......It was a bad deal ...

Why that fitting broke like that has me guessing but they do in fact wear out,
like the NOS like I had crack in my car last time out,the brass section was totally gone
for no apparent reason .......

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
I spoke to a friend yesterday who was there and he told me this story too. Would using steel fittings be a smarter thing to do? Gauge on a hose? Does anyone knowledgeable/experienced have any constructive ideas to try and prevent this from happening again?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Man that sucks. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Thank you Monte for reporting the FACTS. RIP.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I have often wondered how reliable the female-female fittings were. I use them in my cars, but am looking for an alternative, possibly steel. Anyone know of a vendor for a steel f-f fitting?

Martin

·
Registered
753 Posts
That is really bad news. I di dnot know Mike but I know both Terry and Blake Housley and both are great people. Prayers sent to all involved.

·
Small tire Pimp
4,302 Posts
Thanks for clearing up any rumors Monte.
We all need to take care and caution when handling these bottles under pressure

Sad deal we lost a great person and a close friend to many.

May he RIP

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,047 Posts
That is simply amazing. Poor guy. Reminds me of the show about disasters. Sorta like Scott Kalittas accident. If any single part of the puzzle didn't happen no tradgedy would have occured.

It's amazing the bottle got up out of the bath in the first place. I would have to assume the valve was opened fully. I know I crack mine open but I don't open them all the way, mostly because I'm lazy.

I wonder how the strength of the type of bottles they were using is compared to a "regular" NOS or similar aluminum bottle. How much force does it take to break the valve off the bottle.

No matter what, RIP and prayers to his family and friends.

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
Thanks for the update Monte, its good to get the real facts of what happened out for people to learn and try and prevent something similar from happening in the future. I know I will be paying more attention around nitrous bottles in the future, especially since my boys will be getting more involved.

Condolences to all involved.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Very sad story, RIP.

I for one can say I've been handling my bottles a lot more cautiously since this accident. I plan to continue.

Probably a stupid question, but how come he was attaching a gauge to read pressure, don't most bottles have gauges in them?
Just trying to understand the theory.

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
Very sad story, RIP.

I for one can say I've been handling my bottles a lot more cautiously since this accident. I plan to continue.

Probably a stupid question, but how come he was attaching a gauge to read pressure, don't most bottles have gauges in them?
Not all the bottles have a gauge port on them. Plus the little gauges are not all that accurate. I do the same thing, that way I check all the bottles with the same gauge for consistency.

·
photobomber
2,512 Posts
Very sad story, RIP.

Every gauge reads a little different, so a lot of racers rely on one mounted to the line in the car (or in this case as part of the fill setup) to get a consistent reading. I have one on the line in my car, plus one on both bottles I use, and I know the bottle gauges never say the same thing that the one on the line does.

·
F.T.W. KILL EM ALL
10,841 Posts
Very sad deal.Mike R.I.P. Thought & prayers to his Family :(

1 - 20 of 40 Posts