Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
T/S 368E
27,806 Posts
Never loan books, I've loaned many and never got them back :(

But the most memorable was back in the early 80's when I loaned quite a few HP series books to another car enthusiast, the cunt crashed his car and died and I couldn't bring myself to ask his folks for them back.

I loaned my 2 fish tank to a neighbor because I was working in & out of town.
His mother killed herself, and he was sent away to some family and he took them, and I just blew it off.

·
Off the stands for 2018!
19,450 Posts
I loan tools to other business owners I trust all the time. I even borrow something from time to time. It works out well with folks I trust. We all have literally 100's of thousands of dollars worth of tools, and it just does not make sense to buy a 500 dollar plus gadget that will only be used 1 or 2 times a year.

Loaning tools to someone who lives in a rented house and wheels a 10 year old clunker? Not likely to happen, but if I like them they are welcome to slid into an open bay and fix their shit with my tools while I am there.

·
#Tittipicsmatter !
5,963 Posts
Just one person. I have a friend that I grew up with that we share tools and equipment. We talk about what tools or equipment we need and we each buy a different item. We share tractors, a backhoe, and all kinds of equipment and tools.

·
rodent aviator
6,593 Posts
Just one person. I have a friend that I grew up with that we share tools and equipment. We talk about what tools or equipment we need and we each buy a different item. We share tractors, a backhoe, and all kinds of equipment and tools.
When it's a 2 way street it works, and can work well. Unfortunately it's usually just one way.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Loaned an open trailer out a month ago to an employee. Came back with winch cable kinked in several places, and covered in mud with huge oil stains on the wood... He tells me it was dirty when he took it, and that he didn't kink the cable,,,,I made him stay after work and wash it, and he wasn't happy about it.

I had gotten to the point where I would only loan things to people who had resources sufficient to easily replace, or repair the item. I now remember why that is, and have since re learned my lesson.

In my experience borrowing bob, has not for a reason.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've known a customer for years. We talked about a lot of things he wanted done with his project and I've spent hours of free time giving him estimates, free advice, and even some free labor. He never gave me the work until last month when he got an insurance check. On my way there, he text me asking to use a $200+ gauge. I said I didn't have one. At some point you have to force people to buy their own shit and do their own research.

I lent out a $100+ text book to a fellow automotive classmate years ago. I said I only have one rule, I want it back. 15+ years later, I'm not losing sleep over it...

I lent out a complete N2O kit to a friend and said pay me for it when you can, no rush. He kept it for 4+ years and never installed it. I drove up there and got it back, it was covered in shop dust and still in the same cardboard box I gave it to him in. He also still has my engine stand, but it'll be easier just to buy another one. Same friend says he wants to re-wire his Camaro. He couldn't find the time to wire up a simple n2o kit.

If I need it, I buy it. I don't mind helping people, but when you go out of your way to help and they do fuck all to help themselves, you realize why they don't have the tools they need in the first place.

·
time to go racing yet ?
32,046 Posts
nope, no one.... i used to, used to help friends any time..... but after awhile you realize that its a single sided deal so no more.

as for me, ill either rent or buy what i need.... its always been that way for me. maybe because im an introvert

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have a few that I will loan stuff to. One Is like my brother. we have been friend for close to 50 years. we have been through 6 wives between the two of us. He keeps his car and trailer at my place and uses my tools and equipment. His wife is kind of a bitch and controls his money so I try to help him out as best I can. He is a great guy and would give you the shirt off of his back. He has offered for me to use his engine and transmission out of his car when mine is either broke or out for a freshen up. I did use his trans one time but not the engine. My son in law also uses my shop to work on his car. another great guy. I would do just about anything for him. Good husband and father. Both would return the favor if asked to.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You learn a lot about a person by loaning them tools and what I have learned over my lifetime is that most people are scumbags.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
i'll loan tools to a very select group of friends..
at the drag strip....NEVER AGAIN !!
i have a pretty good selection of tools in my trailer..but i have been burnt too many times
over the years i have lost a floor jack, battery powered impact gun , jumper pack and some assorted hand tools
i hate to be a scumbag and refuse tools to guys that are hustling to make the next round ... but, like i said , the shit never comes back or i have to search for these people to find my shit
the guy i lent the floor jack to had the balls to lend it to some one else, and that guy left with it !!
sucks but now when people ask i just say nope, i don't have it !!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
New neighbor is pretty cool and a fellow car guy. One day he asked to borrow something and I told him I have one rule - bring it back cleaner and in better condition than when you borrowed it, or you'll never borrow anything again. Point being don't get it all dirty and greasy and bring it back. He was real cool and said he understood. He did return it as I asked. First time for everything I guess.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Only my dad and I swap tools. I know he treats things with respect and so do I. Doubly so when it belongs to someone else.

·
Registered
6,329 Posts
I hate borrowing tools but sometimes its necessary if its a expensive specialty tool that you will most likely only use once. As for loaning tools I will do that for good friends and trusted family. Sometimes I get lucky and find deals on quality used tools I have needed in the past or may need in the future.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Funny story, but long. My married-in uncle came over one day to borrow some tools. He is a bit of a hothead. He had a nice truck but for some reason the door was rubbing on the fender a bit when he opened it. He decided to adjust it so it wouldn't rub the paint off and rust.
He adjusted something the wrong way, opened the door, and buckled the fender. He got mad, boot fucked the side of the truck, yanked the door open into the fender as hard as he could, and what started out as a slight rubbing turned into a completely caved in fender and door. He then picked up my brand new 1 million piece socket/wrench set and fired it as hard as he could into the neighbors yard. He then got in the truck, peeled rubber backwards out of the driveway, dropped it into drive while never letting off the gas, and peeled away and never let off. Another successful adjustment.
He called about a year later to borrow my torches to take a box off a truck in the middle of an apartment parking lot. I told him the tanks were empty, sorry.
Remember this story if anyone ever wants to borrow your tools, kids.

·
Registered
12,391 Posts
You guys do it? If I have to borrow a tool more than a couple times a year I just buy it (if it’s available). But I know a guy who has no shame and will borrow a tool/machine a few times a month! He’s a decent dude so I don’t make a big deal of it, but I will chirp him every so often, or show him a flyer with the tool he borrows.
I very rarely loan anything out, and when I do it's to just two or three people that I trust to take care of it, return it promptly, or replace if broken. Over the years I found most that borrowed from me made excuses to return promptly and if I needed it back I'd have to go get it. Fuck that! If I'm to borrow something I don't borrow it till I need it, I use it, clean it, and soon as I'm done I go return it.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts