Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys do it? If I have to borrow a tool more than a couple times a year I just buy it (if it’s available). But I know a guy who has no shame and will borrow a tool/machine a few times a month! He’s a decent dude so I don’t make a big deal of it, but I will chirp him every so often, or show him a flyer with the tool he borrows.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
There is only one person that I borrow tools from.... my father in law.
I return to him immediately when I'm done and cleaner than when he gave it to me.

I'm like you... If I need it I go buy it.

I also dont lend anything. Folks don't have the same respect for your stuff that you do.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Amongst a small group of family , friends and good natured fellow assholes yes we borrow larger stuff back and forth.
Normally the same people are there at some point lending a hand , sharing alchohol and constructive criticism anyways...

Normal basic hand tools not included.
Sometimes if its just something you use once in a great while its nice to have people you know and trust to go thru life with.

·
A Fine Example For Others
38,663 Posts
Amongst a small group of family , friends and good natured fellow assholes yes we borrow larger stuff back and forth.
Normally the same people are there at some point lending a hand , sharing alchohol and constructive criticism anyways...

Normal basic hand tools not included.
Sometimes if its just something you use once in a great while its nice to have people you know and trust to go thru life with.
I want to be your neighbor.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Generally, if I have to borrow something more than twice, I buy my own. There's a very small group that I will borrow and lend with, and any of us would buy a replacement if we broke or damaged something. I've also found that lending an engine hoist out frees up space in my garage. My hoist has been at a friend's house for 12 years, he brings it over when I need it. When the ram blew a seal, he replaced it and told me afterwards. He pulls the engine on his pipe rack a few times a year.

·
Registered
640 Posts
If I need something more than a time or two, I'll get my own. Then, I have friends that I did not know I had wanting to borrow it.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have not lent out a tool that did not leave my sight in decades. A stud finder or such, yes, but nothing of value ever.

I would lend out my truck before I gave a neighbor a 10mm 12 point socket. :)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Never.. And , my shit don't go out without me running it.. Clears up a multitude of possible butt-hurt..

With one exception - my dad - but, he's the only guy that God put on this world that has the ability to help / work with me...

Other than that, I decide if I feel like helping someone out.. then I bring and do what they need... I think of it as charity , but , only for good reasons and people who deserve it... 'cause like I said, only one guy who can help me - and I don't ask him.

Work is my life... sometimes unfortunate, but true. - i don't put tools or effort into scenarios that are not worthy..

$.02...

·
T/S 368E
27,799 Posts

I write down anything I borrow. If I screw it up, I fix it or buy a replacement.

I've lost a parachute, a couple of dominators, sets of lifters, all kinds of tools.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
My two sons have access to anything in my garage any time they need something. Everyone else can FOAD. Too many bad experiences when I lent stuff to friends and neighbors turned me into a flaming asshole when it comes to my tools.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
When I was still in the shop my rule was that if you were on my crew and needed a tool I would loan it to you one time, other than a couple exceptions if you needed it again you should have your own.

·
Elite Member
13,474 Posts
Nope, I hate lending tools out. I have had mother fuckers just take shit out of my box when I was a mechanic. All snap on shit too !

The worst, by far, is a car trailer. Everybody and their mother wants to use it.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Son of a bitch....This is one of those things that gets me all pissed off.
Motherfuckers that are broke...borrow stuff and break it, often have zero moral code about replacing a borrowed tool.
Fuck that.
It flat out pisses me off to deal with losers like that.
Simple code to live by: If you borrow a functioning tool and break it, fuck it...you need to at the very least OFFER to replace it. Let the owner decide the way to go. If a broke dick borrows a tool that is fucked up and ready to fail, then it breaks, I would not expect a new replacement.
I share tools but mostly because I usually have everything I need and others do not. I worked for a construction company that supplied almost nothing. I had my own saws, drills, nail guns...you name it. I went to work for another company where they supply tools, though they don't have one for every worker. I'll let a trusted co-worker use my tools but I've let them know that if they break it, they will replace it.
Me? I rarely borrow anything.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
G'day, My dad has access to my full tool box from my dealership days. He has lost several items and just plain used some of them up. Couldn't care less.

I did lend a friend some of my stuff once. His good buddy that shared the shop with him stole most of my stuff and nobody made good on them. I paid to replace them.

Anyone else can go to hell. Even in my dealership days I went with the tool. If you needed something special done I was the one that could do it anyway.

·
Brewmaster
12,507 Posts
I'm borrowing a laser transit right now lol. The couple of friends that I borrow from or they borrow from me luckily have the same respect for tools as I do. If something gets broken, it gets replaced or fixed.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts