Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive narrowed my choice down to either Borg Warner EFR 6258 or Garrett GT2860R. Both match up extremely well on the compressor maps for my application. The Borg being better at high pressure ratios above 30 lbs/min. I am leaning towards the Borg due to "Faster spooling" (internet hearsay) and advantage for high pressure ultimate power.

Does anyone have experience comparing the two turbos directly on a project?

Cost is a wash since I am looking at a rebuilt supercore for the EFR ($550 + $300 for a turbine housing).

My application is a RX1 snowmobile. 1000 CC R1 engine ~140 hp at the crank. Trail sled....will be running about 10 lbs boost most of the time.....turning it up (15-20 lbs) for radar runs and lake fun withe some race gas.

Currently, has babys first turbo on it (GT2554) and runs off the compressor map at around 10 lbs. But, it is responsive in a semi remote mount (turbo at the back of the sled, ~3-4 feet of exhaust between engine and turbo) configuration.

·
Registered
7 Posts
^whats the reasoning behind the garrett preference?
I would run the Garrett because of the ease of parts availability, they are more regularly run in the bike community (don't know any fast guys running a BW),they work better when you crank up the boost, cost less, come with flow maps, that being said I would choose a larger unit than the 2860R. What power are you aiming for ?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maps are available for the BW.

Target for responsive trail power is ~250-260 hp @ ~10-12 lbs (99% of the time)

Target for "lake" or radar run power is 330 hp @ ~20 lbs

Cost is a wash between the two since I am looking at a reman supercore on the BW

I am erroring slightly on the small side for the purpose of response. It operates through the center efficiency island. At most pressures @ peak power for the PR I am only 1-2% away from peak efficiency....except when going past a PR of 2. Even then neither drop below 70% for my targets/goal. The BW does have the capability of more boost between the two on this application.

Either would work for my goals. Ive just "heard" that the BW spool faster. And since it has more I PR/HP capability on this combo that would be a nice bonus in case I want to go a bit further.

I was/am looking for some real world comparisons between the two.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Maps are available for the BW.

Target for responsive trail power is ~250-260 hp @ ~10-12 lbs (99% of the time)

Target for "lake" or radar run power is 330 hp @ ~20 lbs

Cost is a wash between the two since I am looking at a reman supercore on the BW

I am erroring slightly on the small side for the purpose of response. It operates through the center efficiency island. At most pressures @ peak power for the PR I am only 1-2% away from peak efficiency....except when going past a PR of 2. Even then neither drop below 70% for my targets/goal. The BW does have the capability of more boost between the two on this application.

Either would work for my goals. Ive just "heard" that the BW spool faster. And since it has more I PR/HP capability on this combo that would be a nice bonus in case I want to go a bit further.

I was/am looking for some real world comparisons between the two.
I have a EFR7163 and it spools quickly, mine is set to 24psi and it hit that at just over 4k rpm. This is using the T25 housing, apparently it spools even quicker with the T4 twin entry, i have bought the T4 exhaust housing but not got round to fitting it yet

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a EFR7163 and it spools quickly, mine is set to 24psi and it hit that at just over 4k rpm. This is using the T25 housing, apparently it spools even quicker with the T4 twin entry, i have bought the T4 exhaust housing but not got round to fitting it yet
What is the application? Have you had other turbos on this application?

·
Registered
231 Posts
The efr has about 15 years of technological development over the Disco potato. That would be enough right there. And it's probably easier to fine efr parts anymore than the old Garrett.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If we're talking EFR 6258 vs GT2860R, I'd vote Borg Warner. However, have you considered one of Garrett's newer G-series turbos? I believe the G25-550 would be the equivalent to aforementioned turbos size-wise. Just as para pay mentioned, the EFR has a 15 year technology advantage against the Disco potato. EFR 6258 vs G25-550 would be a fairer comparison imo.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wasn't aware of that line..... apparently i need to download a new Garrett catalog.....thanks for the heads up

1 - 13 of 13 Posts