Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into upgrading my old Accel DFI6 to BS3 or FAST and since the latest versions integrate boost control, is there a compelling reason to go to a standalone boost controller?
I posted to the Wires and Pliers section about the MSD 7562 and Sparky brought up the AMS unit below;

Chris,
Check out this link. This seems to be the hot ticket for Programable Boost Controllers. http://dennisc99.home.mchsi.com/AMS-1000.pdf

I know Job Spetter is using these with some of his customers. I know Bill Lutz and Shannon Renfro are running them as well. I talked to them at Milan about them, from what I could see, it was very trick. I know Bill Lutz has tried just about everything on the market and the AMS-1000 turned his whole program around. Bill runs with the OSCA and does post quite often on their BB.
Link to OSCA, http://www.oscaracing.com/

I hope this helps
Sparky
Does anyone know of any shortcomings with the boost control on the BS3, FAST or other DFI setup?

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
I'd like to know as well...I'm running bs3 and currently just going to run a manual boost controller just to get the car up and running but would like to let the bs3 do it if it can do it well.

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
FAST does not have a built in boost control. The new FAST XFI might but the old FAST does not. Most racers use some kind of stand alone boost controler. I just use regualtors and timers. It's cave man but it works.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Big Stuff 3's built in boost controller can incorporate PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) to a wastegate sol, as well as straight signal.
PWM offers better control of the gate to maintain accurate boost levels. With PWM you have the ability and control to manipulate how gradual or aggressive you can apply boost to the gate, which offers more flexibility with different combinations.
For example, a small tire combination would benefit greatly from a gradual applied boost curve or a “progressive apply” vs. a big tire combination which could handle a more aggressive boost curve.
The new FAST XFI and Accel Gen VII offer Boost Controller options, but I am not sure that they are supported by PWM.

As for the AMS-1000 in conjunction with EFI systems that support boost controllers.
I have seen the AMS-1000 used with FAST, Big Stuff 3 and Accel Gen VII, with great results and I have also seen the internal Boost Controllers that the EFI systems offer work very well too.
In my opinion, I feel there really isn’t one magic product to use over the other.
All the boost controller options listed above all do a very good job of controlling boost. It’s more of meeting the need of your particular application, what works well for one combination may not work as well for another.
For Example, Manny Buginga won World Ford Challenge and took the NMRA SSO Championship using a AMS-1000 controller. Mark Van Meter and Joel Greathouse have run some very serious numbers using the same controller. Steve Petty and Tim Lynch undoubtedly have turned the turbo world on end, using the basic ol knobs and solenoids. BB&T racing and Dan Millen have run some stout numbers too, using the same knobs and solenoids.
My advice is to use something that you are comfortable using. If you have someone tuning the car for you, go by their advice and what they would be comfortable working with. Be open to try different products and ideas, isn't that what drag racing is all about?

I hope this helps
Sparky

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I agree w/ Sparky.

I run an Innovative unit on my 10.5 car. It works very well. In manifold mode, there is a slight boost spike but is leveled fairly quickly. Using wastegate mode w/ CO2, the control is much more accurate.

I'd like to know more about the AMS 1000 and how it compares to the Innovative.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Duece,
You can contact Bill Lutz over on his message board. Bill has worked with just about every controller out there, he should be able to give you a fair comparisson between the two.
Here is the link http://www.lutzracing.com/
Leave him a message on his message board
Sparky

·
Registered
762 Posts
Things are moving slow. If I had your money, my car would be done by now. :-D Motor is almost done. I will be fabing the headers and crossover up next.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts