Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
inadvertantly bought 12 pt bolts instead of studs for my sbc. before I go and buy studs is there any performance advantage with studs over bolts? This is for an aluminum headed motor.

alkys10

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Studs have more clamping force if you need that.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I think it depends on your power level. Studs are the premium, top of the line equipment but bolts are also completely adequate in the proper application. What is your power level?

·
Registered
69,002 Posts
I think it depends on your power level. Studs are the premium, top of the line equipment but bolts are also completely adequate in the proper application. What is your power level?
X2

·
Misanthropist
3,142 Posts
X3!

(I've never heard of a "performance gain" by using specific fasteners)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Plan on making 650 to 680HP, pulling motor 7200, N/A no adders but my foot.
Thanks to all of you that have responded, I appreciate the help

alkys10

·
Registered
69,002 Posts
Plan on making 650 to 680HP, pulling motor 7200, N/A no adders but my foot.
Thanks to all of you that have responded, I appreciate the help

alkys10
Just remember to retorque the head gaskets after the intial full warm up and cool down.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Alkys10,

At that power level, if it was my personal engine, I would use the ARP Stud set with 12 point nuts that has the shorter studs undercut. And as posted above, I would re-torque after the first warm up and before racing. But this is just my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts