Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally decided to buy a lil' boat but I know NOTHING about boats other than the; get on my buds boat, everyone gets drunk, I drive us back to the dock... My question is how big is still towable? I've seen some killer deals on boats over 28' but can I tow them and pull it out of water with my Suburban? Are there guidelines as to how big you should go if you wanna tow/launch it? Just for info I am looking for a cruiser type with a galley and head. Also, if anyone is in the Detroit area , what would be the minimum size boat that you would take on the Detroit River comfortably?
For the record I've driven a 40'er for lil' spurts here and there but I wasn't totally comfortable with it because its the first and only boat that I've driven.

Thanks

·
Registered
297 Posts
GO BIG OR GO HOME!! with the right hitch and trailor brakes you will be fine. A boat you can pass out on i meen sleep on is the way to go!!:drinkers:

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GO BIG OR GO HOME!! with the right hitch and trailor brakes you will be fine. A boat you can pass out on i meen sleep on is the way to go!!:drinkers:
LOL! I've got my eyes on a Sea Ray 290 Sundancer for just that reason!

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
You may want to weigh out the options of where you are boating first.... The size of the vesel will depend on where you are boating.. No matter the tow vehicle the proper trailer (not just the hich and brakes) will make allthe difference in the world.. A word off advise do not buy a Roller trailer ... The first time you dump the boat on the ramp you will see what I mean... Plus they are too dangerous on the road... I would recommend a 28- 32 ft Sea Ray Sundancer with a 7.4 and a Bravo 3 .... Just make sure what you buy is a good product .. Saltwater boats tend to go downhill fast.... If your boating in saltwater then be ready to clean and wash everything and flush the engine with freshwater after each use... Or you will regret it badly...

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You may want to weigh out the options of where you are boating first.... The size of the vesel will depend on where you are boating.. No matter the tow vehicle the proper trailer (not just the hich and brakes) will make allthe difference in the world.. A word off advise do not buy a Roller trailer ... The first time you dump the boat on the ramp you will see what I mean... Plus they are too dangerous on the road... I would recommend a 28- 32 ft Sea Ray Sundancer with a 7.4 and a Bravo 3 .... Just make sure what you buy is a good product .. Saltwater boats tend to go downhill fast.... If your boating in saltwater then be ready to clean and wash everything and flush the engine with freshwater after each use... Or you will regret it badly...

Nope no salt water and the roughest water would be the Detroit River. Whats the deal with the roller trailers?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I had a Master Craft Maristar 240 . It measured about 28 foot , 400 hp 454 , walk thru wind sheild, kinda deep hull so you felt safe for kids , that bitch would haul ass and spin on a dime . Great for late night runs across the lake , would pull two skiers with ease , and you could seriously put a hurting on the cockest of your buds on the tube ! Biggest mistake i ever made was to sell it . A new one will set you back some serious cash , buy a used for a third to half amount as long as it was taken care it will hold its value .Very well put together boat .

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
BOAT... Borrow another thousand! It aint that bad. The boat you are looking at would be perfect for a first time boat. It is a twin screw? A twin is so much easier to pilot,dock and so on. Take the coast guard safety course since this is your first boat. Helps on ins. costs. Get someone that knows boats to look it over. Check shaft or shafts cutlass bearing/bearings. Check the hull for blisters. Keep a good bottom paint on it. The best comes from Mexico but its illegal in the U.S. Have fun....

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I have a 26 ft WA and a roller trailer. Don't unhook the winch and chain til the boat is in the water. Very easy to load and launch by myself.

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
Nope no salt water and the roughest water would be the Detroit River. Whats the deal with the roller trailers?

There is nothing to like about a roller trailer.. Sure they may make it easy to unload a boat by yourself but when something breaks and IT WILL then the boat will be on the ramp when you pull it out of the water and when a roller comes off and the leg goes through the bottom of the hull then your insurance will love you ... lol

Get a standard two runner Triple axle aluminum Ibeam trailer and never look back..

·
WHO DAT???
15,848 Posts
I can tell you this, once you drive a boat with twin engines you will never want to go back to a single ever again. Well, at least till gas goes up to high. Which may just be right around to corner!!! Boats are one of those things you'll always want to go bigger later on. So try and get the biggest you can for your budget and go have some fun....

-Dave

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
All you need to know about boats:

The Two Happeist Days of a Boat Owner's Life
1) The day he BUYS it
2) The day he SELLS it

I know all too well. I've owned 23 sail boats. Only have one left, so I must have sold 22 of them..............

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
After owning a handfull of boats, my new "philosophey" is that it's just like owning a swimming pool: Your MUCH better off having a buddy with one, than owning one yourself.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My girl has a 22 foot formula power boat .its balls out at 65 n takes some chop with the deep v hull. I would make su4e it has a cuddy n deep v hull. Wished it was extra 8 foot

·
Registered
133 Posts
My buddy tows his 24foot wellcraft with a 99 1500 suburban with 411s and a bigger trans cooler.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Maybe Ill tell her she can sell it to you and buy a bigger one

1 - 20 of 21 Posts