Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited this boat, its 3 hours away. I was told its just a 40hp sticker / cover and its bigger. Can anyone tell by looking at it what HP it really is?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Some will. There is a lake here that has a max hp limit. Some people will change the cowl to meet the requirements.
Thanks for the info....my boat is only rated for a 175....a 225 would be amazing....might look into this when its time to repower

·
#Tittipicsmatter !
6,028 Posts
Thanks for the info....my boat is only rated for a 175....a 225 would be amazing....might look into this when its time to repower
Be careful if you do. That 50hp may put you in a chine walk at WOT that you may not be able recover from. Then again it may be a ball of fun.

·
Registered
337 Posts
If it's a 40hp cover, chances are that it wont be much more than a 60hp.

From what I've read, my new 115hp Mercury is basically a 90hp with a hotter tune. Step up to the 150 from mine and it's a significant difference in outboard size.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Be careful if you do. That 50hp may put you in a chine walk at WOT that you may not be able recover from. Then again it may be a ball of fun.
Yep, thats whats sucks....have to buy the motor to find out if the boat likes it....its a big walleye boat....WOT now is 50mph....kinda boring, but then again, its a fishing boat

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it's a 40hp cover, chances are that it wont be much more than a 60hp.

From what I've read, my new 115hp Mercury is basically a 90hp with a hotter tune. Step up to the 150 from mine and it's a significant difference in outboard size.
Yes but the diff between a 40 and 60 is about $2000

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a long time merc dealer and mechanic. That's a mid to late 90s/early 2000s model and could be a 40, 50, or 60. All the same motor with different carbs and porting. Those were good little engines. 40s are most common and the 60hp version is the least common.

·
Registered
349 Posts
As just stated.. it’s and elpto 40/50/60. Look out for fuel pump diaphragms, voltage rec/regs and stators. The floats are also known for filling up with fuel. Make sure not to use a deep cycle battery or a fire may ensue. Die hard motors If those things are updated.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I see we have some knowledge here on boat motors eve with the lack of a boat section....i have a key west with a 60 merc on it thats been sitting in my yard for 6 years due to me buying my ranger....im in the slow process of redoing it from wires to paint....what eould y'all recommend me doing to motor before i get too far along

1 - 18 of 18 Posts