Yellow Bullet Forums banner

BMX IN THE OLYMPICS ON TV TONIGHT

13K views 305 replies 75 participants last post by  911 Dispatcher 
HELL YEAH!

I think I was peddling before I could even walk!!! Raced...shit damn near the whole 1st half of my life all over SoCal... Only thing that got me away from the bike was my car!!! So stoked they added this sport!!!

~R

FUCK YEAH!!!

One of the funnest threads to come down the line ina minute! All you 30 something SoCal boys gotta remember Devonshire Downs? Simi? Farnum/ Saticoy? How bout some bikes? Hutch? Champion? Kastan? Free Agent?
That list of bikes right there kinda shows my progression from a younger rider to my late teens!!! What a fuckin ride yall are takin us on! FUCK YEAH!!!!

DUDE!!!

I just threw down a list of some of my favorite rides in my entire riding career... and you have 3 of them! That fuckin rips! My KAstan was the early one.... cant for the life of me remember if it even had a name beside Kastan. Had the "Cyclop" fork too. Those things were the shit back then... this would be 88. I had an FA Limo as well. Custom built...DK PowerFlite, Bullseye...and always stayed true to the Araya wheels!!!! Not the best but I loved em

~R

Dude...ha ha thats rad. Im in pretty decent shape but I would build another only to do the same... just cruise and maybe some mellow street style. Been thinkin of it for a while now...this thread is just what I needed! Wait til the fuckin racing comes on...I'll prolly be postin a whole different tune!

~R

I told the wife about this thread and she told me that I dont need to be wasting my time in this thread because I am too old to be riding....

Screw that.... I just may get me another bike to just play around on..... My HMO is paid up.....

Vanilla

bro...

not to hijack the thread ( ipromise I'll start another if it rides off this) but which boards have you been coming up on? Late 80's early 90's I grew up skating with Natas, Eric Dressen, Jeff Hartzell, Jason Lee...like personally. All local skaters in Santa Monica and Venice...DOGTOWN baby! Skated with Natas and Dressen weekly!!! WOW! Awesoem thread guys!

`R

:supz: been going on ebay and buying late 80s / early 90s skateboards. now i gotta find a mongoose californian and some pro class rims i guess.....

Yeah bro!

Depending on how old you are... skating from '91-til shit... now ...LOL is still like that. I could see St. Pete's scene being similar to ours! One of the most famous and my favorite DogTown spots ever is called the Underground...commercial parking by day... skate mecca by late aftn & night right next to Rip City on SM BLVD!

~R

I skated from 83 till 93-94 ish last few years were mostly partying and hitting parking garages,I grew up in st.pete fl. lots of skating there.

Wow Homie!

Now youre getting into the goods... way to toss Skip out there. The whole DogTown program is still strong down there. Pep Williams etc. Original Natas's from SMA were the sickest that could be had at the time. 1st boards to get some nose on em!!! Remember the 1st wheels of fire video? Natas' smith grind on the trash dumpster? "Ohhh...dirrt"
GOOD FUCKIN SHIT RIGHT THERE!!!

`R

Skip is still making boards I wish he would make a Natas that had his head at the top of the board and his bangs running down it to the back truck my favorite board pre vision sma natas's,and dogtown street board kicked ass.I had so many different boards.

If you could get the original Roskopp series (1-7?) that would be sick! Remember how just a lil more of the monstor would break out with each new model? Tommy Guererro's boards were always a good ride too. I got a lil somethin for you... Bonite!!!! Ahhh ha ha ha I got some friends with some serious collections of original boards. Unfortunatley all I have left are scars, water on the knees and crates and crates filled with Thrasher Mags from 86- 2000.

~R

powell peralta caballero/ santa cruz rob roskopp and a jeff kendall. all old, no reissues but bought 2 of those too. also got some t-bones and bullets. looking for a G&S mark heinsman..

phuck bonite I was scared to get a bead of sweat on one of those,I had a bonite xt wellinder I loved mad I could rail slide it forever.Schmit Stixx was a fave also lucero and lucero street thing and rip saw the yard stick was a cool cruiser.I think I have an old zorlac and jason lee double kick.double kicks suck lol the extra nose is there to slap your nuts and cock VERY HARD into your leg if you miss and land one footed,I tried to show off and TRY a kickflip a few years ago for my buddy's kids I was laying in the road and the kids kept yelling dad Jon's dead he isnt moving and all I can hear is groaning lol never knew a shotto the nuts could paralize you like that lmao bad day- week

Ahhhh ha ha jsut waitin to see who would hate on the bonite! Paper fuckin Mache skateboads. Wellinder huh? Freestyler I take it? Classic story on the latest ride. I defintiely dont ride nearly as much or hard as I once did or would like to but I did get called out by Hop's kid @ Milan last year... Couldnt resist. Got lucky as all hell and nailed a 360 flip on 2 tries. Dont ask how it happened cuz I stay from most serious flip trix these days... Old man still got a lil left I guess. LOL
~R

JACKPOT!!!

it was his street board.on another note the best flat planker Rodney Mullen is the sickest street skater he has so much board control from the freestyle years.if you can get any videos of him skating street watch them!!

DUDE... I am fucking ADDICTED to all of Rodney's latest shit... his street style slays even the best of the kids these days!!! and he's like what now? 38+?

I wish I had dvd's of him stret skating and freestyling!!! I have part of one vid with him on street the old questionable video. he has to be 40.I saw him demo on madeira beach at mad beach surf shop around 87 I think and it was amazing

Just throw him into youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U-cgn3cEGA

Heres some good old school skate video shit... "The Search for Animal Chin"

I cant stop smililn right now man. I actually think I still have that vid...gotta go check!!!

Def have a lot of all the old NSA Pro Series Vids

~R

Hey N2Boost, where you from? Simi was the first track I ever raced at. I grew up a mile from Saticoy, but the track was long gone by the time i came around. I raced Ventura most of the time, but that one was short lived. The Simi track sure was smooth.

Nice bro! I'm from Westlake Vlg. 12 & 13 I'd race Simi every Sat & Sun Morns...what a great fuckin track that was. Then hop in Dad's landcruiser and BARREL out to Saticoy while chaning the big gear in the back seat. Was always barely getting teh in time to make reg. That Saticoy track was 1.5X teh length of Simi at the time. Always loved the long swooping drop in to the smooth step up for the 1st hit though!!!
Funny I just did a search on Simi BikeWorks... apparently it doesnt have the same rep it did back in the day. LOL

~R

i did all of my racing in 1997. I was 12 & 13 also. the Ventura track was absolute junk compared to Simi, and only about 2/3s the length and half the speed of it. The Santa Barbara track was my absolute favorite though. It had a 6 pack that I could NEVER clear. I only cleard the first double of it one time. I raced out in Valencia one time also. We rushed like hell after we both won in Vta. only to barely qualify in Valencia. I was #84 in the ABA in 1998. I was pretty damn proud of myself.
I was done ridin by the time you were hittin it hard little buddy! You were out there rushing track to track and getting it done? Definitely something to be proud of bro. Small world though.

Kinda funny how (most) speed based competitve sports when we were kids landed us all doing the same things as adults. Natural progression I guess.

~R

I wouldnt exactly call it good, when we got to Valencia I was a mess. Only qualified because there was a girl in the class. Always came down to her and I in the last heat. Man I still have all of my trophies too. I think that all of us that have progressed from the bicycles to cars are just naturally competitive people. Now i ride X-country Mountain bike stuff. I tried getting back on a BMX bike, and cant make it happen.
Shit I aint afraid to admit it. I had THE gnarliest rivalry with a girl from like 86-89 out at Simi. She was decent rider. On the days when I couldnt get around her...we'd always get tangled up & go down for some reason...LOL I was definitely always faster at getting up. ;)

~R

I had a guy talk shit to me in one of the heats who was much faster, so I tried taking him out in the final turn by coming in low and smashing into him in the burm. We both went down, and I came back up with my gooseneck facing the wrong way and had to quit. Good times.
well hey look at it this way...he couldnt have been that much faster than you if you had an angle on him in the final turn! Here's a little bit of advice for ya bro- These days if you find yourself goin down and when you come back up your gooseneck is facing the wrong way... YOU GOT WAY BIGGER PROBLEMS. I'd punch that bitch. LOL

~R

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.