Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have an 06 550i and the key fob basically works when it wants and has a limited range. Even after a long drive having a long time to charge. Only got one key when purchased so need a spare anyways.

Rather then spend $300+ on a spare key and fob, is it possible to buy a used fob with a blank key on ebay and program it myself or is this something only the dealer can do?

·
its blingtiffic™
9,829 Posts
Buy a new key from the dealer. A good dealer will program it no charge.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it is one of these.

I have one working one. Was searching and read that I just hold the used one next to the ignition while I insert the good key in the ignition and bam its programmed. Does not sound right to me though, seems to easy.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711628

If its true though, there are a lot of used ones on ebay for cheap and then I could just get a blank key cut at a locksmith and avoid having to pay the almost $400 i was just quoted at the dealer.

·
UP ON JACK STANDS
4,183 Posts
Not true, and you are not getting one of them cut at a lock smith either. Comfort access is where you keep the key in your pocket and unlock the car by grabbing the handle. That style has a replaceable battery.

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
I don't know about the used/blank fob off ebay, but I bought my fob for $150 at the one dealer when others wanted $350. Call around to a couple different dealers and see if they can work on the price.

Or try this on that fob...then get it programed.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I cut mine open and replaced the battery. It is kinda ghetto to do with a BMW key. I don't have a BMW dealer around here, a few hour drive to the closest. When I get to civilization I'm going to the dealer for the real thing.

Hacking in a battery does work.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Not true, and you are not getting one of them cut at a lock smith either. Comfort access is where you keep the key in your pocket and unlock the car by grabbing the handle. That style has a replaceable battery.
I do not think it has comfort access, I have to unlock the car first and need the car in the ignition to start it. Do these have a replaceable battery as well?

·
Mother Hen
51,760 Posts
Maybe they have an idea on how to replace the battery in your fob. The key just has the chip in it. I was quoted $150 for a key from BMW and as far as I know that is the only place you can get it and it takes overnight. You have to carry your registration to get it ordered. I have no idea what a new fob costs because I did the same thing someone else said. I went into the fob and replaced the battery.

·
UP ON JACK STANDS
4,183 Posts
The dealer will not cut the key open. You need to prove you own the car, license, registration or title. Should have the key in a day or two.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe they have an idea on how to replace the battery in your fob. The key just has the chip in it. I was quoted $150 for a key from BMW and as far as I know that is the only place you can get it and it takes overnight. You have to carry your registration to get it ordered. I have no idea what a new fob costs because I did the same thing someone else said. I went into the fob and replaced the battery.
was yours comfort access?

I can live with just replacing the battery for now if that is all it takes

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Just replace the battery.I had no idea they charged in the car while driving? It's easy to change and don't buy from the dealer hey fuck you hard. You can get a new one at best buy for three bucks.

·
AVAST
1,350 Posts
replace the battery, theres youtube tutorials how to do it. my bmw started dyeing and thats what i did. in the mean time touch the metal part of the key to your chin when clicking the buttons, i did that for about a year and it almost doubles your range

*edit the older key fobs don't have the access for battery, watch the tutorials on your key, its like mine you have to open the case in half

1 - 20 of 21 Posts